Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By johnm
Some of this is related to the bonkers political red lines in respect of the ECJ , but there may be room for sensible compromise along the lines adopted by Switzerland and Norway once the flack dies down and they get stuck into the practicalities.
By Cessna57
I have an EASA PPL(A).

Does anyone have any idea how that’s going to work?

Will the CAA just print us all new licenses to use in the U.K. ? How will they be valid in Europe? Will I need two licenses?

Or is it just a technicality about our voting rights in EASA?

I must admit I’m as confused as the chap I met the other day who said the driving license issue was ridiculous, you can just apply for a European driving license. He was quite belligerent about it.

When I pointed out to him those “European Licenses” were for members of the EU, and we’re not going to be, it flummoxed him totally.
By johnm
[threaddrift] driving licences, while tedious, should not be too difficult, we should be able to go back to getting an international driving permit from the AA or the RAC which is what I used to in the 1960s [/threaddrift]
By proteus
Cessna57 wrote:I have an EASA PPL(A).

Will the CAA just print us all new licenses to use in the U.K. ? How will they be valid in Europe? Will I need two licenses?

Why would we? We're an ICAO country. Unlike the EU.
By johnm
proteus wrote:

Currently we are an ICAO EU member state, so there is, at the very least , some discussion and paperwork to be done...... the EU is in fact an ICAO member in its own right as well as the individual member states as I recall.
By G-JWTP

Does anyone have any idea how that’s going to work?

Or is it just a technicality about our voting rights in EASA?

I must admit I’m as confused as the chap I met the other day who said the driving license issue was ridiculous, you can just apply for a European driving license. He was quite belligerent about it.

When I pointed out to him those “European Licenses” were for members of the EU, and we’re not going to be, it flummoxed him totally.

The last time the CAA made us have new licences we all got a bill.
Don't be surprised if you have to change you get another.

G-JWTP

PS I'm really glad I did the FAA licence update onto my old CAA PPL and not my EASA one. I won't have to go through that faff again.
By proteus
johnm wrote: the EU is in fact an ICAO member in its own right as well as the individual member states as I recall.

This is news to me. I've just had a look on the ICAO website and they don't show the EU as a member.

My understanding was that they weren't allowed to join as they were not a recognised nation.
By johnm
Human Factor wrote:The EU isn’t a state so can’t be a member of ICAO.

Yep I’ve just checked and I was getting muddled with the WTO, sorry :oops:

The U.K. is still a member of both as an EU state so the other bit is right I think
By SteveC
johnm wrote:
proteus wrote:

Currently we are an ICAO EU member state, so there is, at the very least , some discussion and paperwork to be done...... the EU is in fact an ICAO member in its own right as well as the individual member states as I recall.

Nope, each member state is an ICAO member in its own right but not the EU. EASA is a framework that all of the EU ICAO members operate to in order to mutual recognition of all licences and ratings across the states. This is part of the free movement of people to allow us to transparently migrate the EU and work. The loss of EASA membership for the UK would be an absolute tragedy for those of us flying for EU operators and for the UK commercial flight training industry which will be pretty much decimated by not being able to train students for EU courses and EU accepted licences. Our own national recruitment requirements would not fill the void left by the loss of international students.

Its OK for flyer forum PPLs to sit and say I am all right jack in their little cubs and Jodels but the world is much bigger for commercial aviation and there is a disaster looming on the horizon if a deal is not struck.
johnm, NickA, Flyin'Dutch' and 3 others liked this