Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I won't be holding my breath..... this has been around for a decade, the stabilisation work has improved things but as the article says it only holds things together while plans for the "proper job" are completed. I laughed at the bit where it said the Dorniers had better cross wind performance because that's been capped by Aurigny at 20 KIAS
Aurigny's old Trislanders sometimes used the grass runways when wind conditions prevented landings on the main tarmac runway. However this is less of an issue with the current Dornier aircraft, which have better cross-wind performance.

Not quite the version you hear when you wander around the island and chat to former Trislander pilots. They might tell you things like

* the Trislanders could fly (yes, using the grass if necessary) on days when the Dorniers now can't
    * actually the Dorniers can land on grass ... it's just that they need an engineering inspection before they're allowed to take off again
    * the Dorniers' unimpressive crosswind performance, which leads to so many no-fly days, is made worse by an even lower operating limit from Alderney because of the "narrow" runway

and from the last of these it is not astonishing that when I clicked through to the article I found, as I expected, that this is basically about widening the runway to remove the extra crosswind limitation so as to try to get the Dorniers dispatch rate a bit closer to that of the Trislanders.

Plus I observed for myself that the Trislander only needed one pilot whereas the Dornier seems to need two. I know an aeroplane isn't a bus, but as a pax I was always happy with the one pilot (after all, I could have hopped over the seat back and helped with the flying myself if necessary), and surely the second pilot does add quite a bit to the operating costs?
By johnm
I won't start on Aurigny and the Guernsey States, I promise, it's just too long a sorry saga with no end in sight as yet.
johnm wrote:I won't start on Aurigny and the Guernsey States, I promise, it's just too long a sorry saga with no end in sight as yet.

:D :D :D - either you've been talking to the same people I have ... or you are one of them!
It's only 80 nm so around 30 mins block time. I had envisaged that route as part of the network. Flights between Guernsey and Jersey could be included to0.

I'm not well up on modern helicopters capable of carrying 19 pax, which I believe is an important number.

The article is about options so I thought I throw this one in for discussion.
By skydriller
CloudHound wrote:I'm not well up on modern helicopters capable of carrying 19 pax, which I believe is an important number.

It is the number of Passengers allowed on any aircraft (rotary or fixed wing) before a stewardess or steward is required to be carried. This is why the number of passengers on offshore helicopters is limited to 19 even though an S92 can carry more.

Regards, SD..
Lockhaven liked this
By johnm
19 passengers and under 5700 kgs means simpler rules though since Guernsey airport who run Alderney have delusions of Gatwick and Aurigny have delusions of BA, you'd never know :roll: :(