Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By JReading
AlexJR wrote:JReading is that an application for a PPL(A)? Sounds like the information I was given may not be quite right if you submitted on the 22nd and are receiving today (i.e. perhaps 3 days ahead). I bet you will have a smile on your face today, especially given the weather looks decent enough this weekend.

The DVLA has gone online now with all your points etc. So the CAA could adopt a similar system as has been suggested above - you have a card then you go online to check latest endorsements. Either way, you should be able to fly with passengers upon passing as the licence is effectively back dated to the day you pass.

My original question is how to we set about changing the law? Online petition to Parliament?!
I will let you know if its actually arrived when i get home although i am not expecting it!

J

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
AlexJR wrote:JReading is that an application for a PPL(A)? Sounds like the information I was given may not be quite right if you submitted on the 22nd and are receiving today (i.e. perhaps 3 days ahead). I bet you will have a smile on your face today, especially given the weather looks decent enough this weekend.

The DVLA has gone online now with all your points etc. So the CAA could adopt a similar system as has been suggested above - you have a card then you go online to check latest endorsements. Either way, you should be able to fly with passengers upon passing as the licence is effectively back dated to the day you pass.

My original question is how to we set about changing the law? Online petition to Parliament?!

I think the starting point is whether one or more laws needs changing, or is it just CAA processes.

It wouldn't surprise me if the law isn't specific on how the CAA handles applications nor the SLA's that they work to.

However, I think the requirements for pilots to carry certain documents is in European law (part FCL) - which has hard law bits (the regulation itself) and the softer bits (Acceptable Means of Compliance and Guidance Material).

I suspect a requirement to accept a licence database as opposed to carrying physical licences would need a change to part-FCL.
By JReading
Not home yet but already been informed i havent got any post...hoping for it to turn up tomorrow

By Gertie
pullup wrote:Interestingly, very few complainers here say they have sent in a perfect application!

I think my last transaction with the CAA took eight attempts.

One was the school's paperwork, and one was arguably my paperwork (if you accept that I should have been able to understand the arcane instructions), but the other six?
By JReading
Gertie wrote:
pullup wrote:Interestingly, very few complainers here say they have sent in a perfect application!

I think my last transaction with the CAA took eight attempts.

One was the school's paperwork, and one was arguably my paperwork (if you accept that I should have been able to understand the arcane instructions), but the other six?
My application was perfect and accepted first time for my PPL (A)

By AlexJR
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
Any sign JR? Am resigned to the 26 WDs. Seems conflicting views as to whether as a non-PPL holder but skills-test passer I can be signed-out on someone else's licence without a check-out flight. They were happy to 2 weeks ago but not Sunday (weather aside of course). Any views on here?
By flybymike
Once the student pilot is in receipt of their licence, unless the licence is a Light Aircraft Pilot Licence (LAPL) or otherwise instructed by the UK CAA, they are not permitted to be authorised solo by the Flight Instructor for future flights.

Am I being thick? Why would authorisation of a flight either be required or not permitted once the licence has been issued?
By JReading
AlexJR wrote:Any sign JR? Am resigned to the 26 WDs. Seems conflicting views as to whether as a non-PPL holder but skills-test passer I can be signed-out on someone else's licence without a check-out flight. They were happy to 2 weeks ago but not Sunday (weather aside of course). Any views on here?
Hey Alex

Called them again this morning to which they then again confirmed my license was processed and issued on the 20th and should have been with me in the post last week.....

So it looks like the royal mail have lost it

Got told to send customer services an email with an URGENT tag so that a manager picks it up and gets me a new license processed and sent...but they cannot guarantee my email will be read today...

Its like a comedy sketch show!!

By Nick T
JReading wrote:So it looks like the royal mail have lost it

They get sent via FedEx, assuming you didn't opt out of the 'secure document delivery' option.

In which case there should be a tracking number, somewhere.
By AlexJR
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
JR - very jealous right now, you must be a happy man?! I think the next sunny day I'd need to take a day off work and a friend! So that was circa 22 working days...hope yet for this week.

The CAA guidence says: "authorised and supervised by the holder of a valid Flight Instructor Certificate". Arguably the usual check flight is a form of supervision? Just authorised then that implies a signature - not sure!
By stevelup
I'm a bit confused. I thought you were talking about getting checked out for a solo flight?

In that case, it's another 'lesson' just like any of your other solo lessons you had.

The whole experience need not be any different at all from any other flight you've had until this point.

A 'check flight' would be a dual flight with an instructor. Again, I can't see any reason whatsoever why you can't do this whilst waiting for your licence to arrive.

Either option would be a good way of keeping your hand in whilst waiting for something to plop on the doorstep!