Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By AlexJR
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
I know the CAA is short staffed and that 5-7 weeks is not unusual but the submission was made on 1 October for PPL(A) and I am still waiting. Nothing much more to say than to share my impatience with a hopefully sympathetic group! Did anyone else submit September/October and what was the timing?

Planning a Compton Abbas jaunt on Saturday afternoon, through the Middle Wallopp MATZ. SD says to talk to Boscombe which I will do but I guess on a Saturday afternoon it should be fine? Saves adding 20 miles skirting around the Salisbury planes.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Don't skirt! Pilots infringe by making routes too complicated. Blind calls on the matz frequency- would be answered if matz were surprisingly active. Keep out of all ATZs, Porton, etc
PaulB liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
From what I can gather on Facebook, waits are of the order of 13 weeks or so at the moment.

It's unlikely Boscombe Down will be there on a Saturday afternoon. It's unlikely there will be any traffic in the Middle Wallop MATZ as well. Just keep a good look out.
By Marvin
Nah, I know of someone who submitted his application beginning of August, was told 5 weeks later the flying school hadn’t submitted a piece of information, long story, and finally received licence in the post this week.

The aircraft he had bought share in has gone tech............
By Marvin
If your going through the MATZ do à radio call. I frequently get a response from either the tower, who monitor, or the LARS controller as they do have some activities over the weekend and other traffic where we swop position reports for conspicuity.

A radio call is zero cost.
By Bill McCarthy
Somebody will be along in a minute to say - there must be a lot of “planes” round Salisbury for a 20 mile skirt round !!
By AlexJR
Thanks all for the helpful advice, I will do the requisite planning in the next couple of days assuming the weather holds. I guess the more experience you have with these relatively simple matters the less they concern you.

THIRTEEN WEEKS?!?!?!?! I have just died a little inside. You toil for months/years in order to be able to share this wondrous experience that is GA and then they make you wait weeks/months for a piece of paper to confirm what everyone already knows. Thirteen weeks *cries at desk*.
By Paul_Sengupta
It's a busy time at the end of a good summer coupled with those who are juggling licences with anticipation of what happens next year.
By Irv Lee
AlexJR wrote:THIRTEEN WEEKS?!?!?!?! I have just died a little inside. You toil for months/years in order to be able to share this wondrous experience that is GA and then they make you wait weeks/months for a piece of paper to confirm what everyone already knows. Thirteen weeks *cries at desk*.

Monopoly service, only difference between giving you a licence after a quarter of a year and a quarter of a month is different complaint numbers one way and more cost the other.... no other downside that i can think of. If they plan to consider more complaints are perfectly acceptable then the monthly senior meeting just checks complaints are hitting the high levels expected and moves to next item. It would only change if there was any cost impact e.g. fines associated with certain service levels
By AlexJR
Hmm so is the message wait a month and then start complaining or ultimately just sit back and be patient because the time taken to reply to complaints is using-up person power?

Wind looks like it might be close to max demonstrated cross-wind factor for PA28 at Compton Abbas on Saturday. Maybe need a Plan B for solo jaunt number 2. Friends in Brighton but is Shoreham tricky for a rookie?
By Irv Lee
@AlexJR Well any result will be too late for you but may be you could let the parliamentary group in on the idea of fines for unreasonable service levels, best if it comes from a victim. A quarter of a year should be a very high fine.
Not sure exactly where wind would be but you could consider the airfield formerly known as Lee (and still is by most). It is very pleasant and has a 05 hard runway. Or maybe that is where you are, haven't checked!