Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By G-SLOT
>2t MTOW and a bit confused about when enroute charges are levied.

Let's say I depart VFR but then obtain an IFR transit through Class D airspace enroute and then land VFR. Would I be charged and, if so, for what portion of the flight?

How about departing VFR and landing IFR off an instrument approach, or departing IFR and switching to VFR enroute (whether or not planned as such on a submitted flight plan - Y or Z)?

For Y or Z flight plans, are you charged for the whole flight or just for the portion under IFR (planned or actually flown)?

If picking up a clearance enroute, does it make a difference whether you fly through Class A or D airspace (assuming the UK)? In UK Class G airspace, one could switch between VFR and IFR without anyone really knowing.

Couldn't get to the bottom of this through the info on the Eurocontrol website - any practical insights gratefully appreciated.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The charges are levied if you are over two tonnes and use the IFR route infrastructure, airways basically.
By PaulB
Out of interest (It'll never affect me) what sort of magnitude of the charges for a approx 2 tonnes aircraft?
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
PaulB wrote:Out of interest (It'll never affect me) what sort of magnitude of the charges for a approx 2 tonnes aircraft?

It's a fiendishly complex formula, but I estimate roughly £50/hr for a Baron B55 (it's usually a bit less)

Hours of fun(!) are to be had here

Ian
By G-SLOT
The charges are levied if you are over two tonnes and use the IFR route infrastructure, airways basically.

Yes, but I believe the practical reality can be somewhat different and dependent on the circumstances.
By welkyboy
In reality route charges are levied by eurocontrol, they use your FPL details if filed thru the Brussels computer, if you file a Z, Y,or I FPL it will automatically be filed thru Brussels, just file VFR and request an IFR routing thru class D airspace, no one cares which sort of FPL you have filed, or if staying in UK airspace why bother to file a FPL at all?
By Flyingfemme
The answer is, “it depends”. And just because you get a bill doesn’t mean it is correct - you can challenge and get it cancelled if incorrect.
If you file IFR and pick up a clearance, you are likely to get charged for the whole route, whatever you do. Likewise Z plans........if you have a print or proof of what you filed; keep it for future use. If you flew VFR without a formal filing you will, of course, have nothing.
The system default is to charge. If you challenge they will investigate and may find in your favour. If you pay up without a challenge you lose.
patowalker liked this
By matspart3
Colonel Panic wrote:Shoreham used to "share" your departure details with Eurocontrol if departing IFR OCAS, or if flying visually at night. :evil:

All statistical reporting airports provide data to Route Charges. They have to. Them's the rules. :roll:
By Dusty_B
We used to file IFR to remain outside of class A when possible, but often the clearance issued would bear no resemblance to what we filed - the computer knew better. Result: automatic charging for something we didn't ask for!

The charging paperwork out of Eurocontrol is a f*&%ing nightmare. Good luck deciphering it - especially if you operate more than one airframe. And due to the friendly way they operate, they will threaten to charge you interest on any unpaid bills, even when you are contesting them.
By G-SLOT
So "should" charging only apply when entering Class A airspace?

Practically speaking, if one departs VFR and is able to obtain a Class A clearance somewhere enroute, does that typically get picked up by Eurocontrol?

Or, if I arrive at my (VFR) destination and have to divert somewhere for an IAP, say in Class D or G airspace, should I expect a bill?
By Dusty_B
For en-route charges, expect a bill.
For other navigation charges, depends on the state and airport. Some ATSUs/airports use Eurocontrol for billing their navigation charges, others will hit you along side your landing fee (which is what we generally expect in the UK).