Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteM
Granted the trees make it a bit more interesting - but you should have seen the size of the wave that left that boat there :D

Seriously we have a local strip with a pretty significant gradient - the reduction in ground roll is truly surprising. Since using it, my potential forced landing sites have tended to gravitate towards slopes as really short landing rolls are normal and that opens up a lot more places (in Scotland!).

But the first couple of times do get your full attention!
By Lockhaven
PeteM wrote:Seriously we have a local strip with a pretty significant gradient - the reduction in ground roll is truly surprising. Since using it, my potential forced landing sites have tended to gravitate towards slopes as really short landing rolls are normal and that opens up a lot more places (in Scotland!).

Don't always rely on the gradients, theres a degree of pucker factor and maybe a hole in his seat after this departure :lol:

By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Lockhaven wrote:... and maybe a hole in his seat after this departure :lol:

Her seat. The lady involved courageously went online afterwards with a self-critical analysis of what went wrong. It's worth digging out.
Dave W wrote:
Lockhaven wrote:... and maybe a hole in his seat after this departure :lol:

Her seat. The lady involved courageously went online afterwards with a self-critical analysis of what went wrong. It's worth digging out.

Dave W, thanks for that heads up, managed to find an article online with a quote the lady herself :thumleft:

https://backcountrypilot.org/forum/puck ... inson-7857

Oh dear... Have to 'fess up. Things do come back to haunt one, don't they? This was me, Selina, in GYYF. Of course I have already received this video a few times in the last couple of days. I think it was 1999 or 2000.

What can I say? It was hot, I had 2 passengers and thought I knew more than I did about short field takeoffs. This little field is just outside of Victoria B.C. and once we were in the air we headed straight to Nanaimo's LONG runway to land and assess damages. The only victims, other than my pride, were the gear fairings as I did a bit of landscaping on the way out.

What was I thinking? I sure didn't use correct short field procedures and quickly ran out of room. I knew I was in trouble and also knew I was committed to the takeoff. As we lifted off my right seat passenger, a more experienced pilot (as was the second passenger in the back), was quick enough to yell at me to push the nose down and was ready to do so himself if I didn't. That instinct to pull up is strong especially with the tops of the trees coming at you.

Just about the best learning experience I've every had... And probably the scariest.

Coincidentally I met the owner of this little field this past weekend at a fly-in and we had a little reminisce about my "incident". The field is still in use although I think they have removed a few more of the trees at the end. I don't think I'll be tackling it again although a little voice inside says perhaps I should go back without passengers and do it properly!
Ben K liked this
What's that on the top of the dash? Is that a heads up unit for an AoA dsiplay? If so, I can understand his nonchalance to the approach with the stall warning screaming......
By Dave W
Full Metal Jackass wrote:Is that a heads up unit for an AoA dsiplay?

Yes, it is. See here for a list of the STOL mods on his aircraft - it isn't a stock 182. That is an Alpha Systems AoA indicator.
Flyin'Dutch', Ben K liked this
JoeC wrote:On that short strip with the momentum of a 182 I'd be quite satisfied to hear the stall warner on landing.

But not whilst 50 feet in the air, shirley..... I can understand now, having an AoA, he can fly closer to the stall.....
By Dave W
I frequently hear the stall warner 50ft up. It's a warning that you're approaching the stall, not (necessarily) that you are at it. That's not uncommon flying into short strips using suitable techniques. Obviously you need to know your aeroplane!
Dave W wrote:I frequently hear the stall warner 50ft up. It's a warning that you're approaching the stall, not (necessarily) that you are at it. That's not uncommon flying into short strips using suitable techniques. Obviously you need to know your aeroplane!

That's the point, how well do you know your stall warning is working, without calibrating it. For me, the stall warning is a 'ready to land' device, not an instrument to tell me 'yes, fly at this speed' - that's why I asked whether it was a heads up AoA I could see...
By Dave W
Full Metal Jackass wrote:That's the point, how well do you know your stall warning is working, without calibrating it.

I regularly go and practice stalls, in all configurations. That calibrates it nicely.

Doesn't everybody do this?

I also stall in various loading conditions. (Strangely, some pax enjoy it. Need to do it at MAUM annually anyway).
IainD liked this
Larry has the Sportsman STOL fitted to his airplane, so he's flying comfortably above the stall while the horn is still blaring like crazy. I had dinner with him a couple of times earlier in the year, lovely guy, and very nice airplane. He liked my PPonk so much that he has put one in his now ;-)