Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By akg1486
I've been watching a few more of this guy's videos and I'm starting to wonder if an AoA indicator would be useful also on a bog standard, non-STOL equipped, C172 or PA28. The price of the basic kit seems reasonable.

Does anyone here us one? What do you think about it? Is there a hassle, including lots of expensive paper work, to get an installation approved?
I fly a PtF aeroplane (which only requires 20% MTOW paperwork to fly rather than the 100% of a CofA aeroplane) and have considered getting one of these devices. It would help both for strip flying and would be interesting in aerobatics. Now I have more time on the aeroplane I reckon I have a good seat of the pants feel for AoA/stall approaching so I probably wouldn't be any better with one to help me. However in a 182 flying in Alaska with unpredictable winds etc, I can see it being an incredibly useful device. You could loose your entire panel on an approach to a 700' long strip and still land successfully on just an AoA indicator.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
akg1486 wrote:I've been watching a few more of this guy's videos and I'm starting to wonder if an AoA indicator would be useful also on a bog standard, non-STOL equipped, C172 or PA28. The price of the basic kit seems reasonable.

Does anyone here use one? What do you think about it? Is there a hassle, including lots of expensive paper work, to get an installation approved?

I'm not sure an AoA would make that much difference from a STOL point of view. In terms of paperwork, tale a look at CS-STAN to see how easy it is (probably easier than fitting one to a permit aircraft).

Ian
akg1486 liked this
By Gertie
Dave W wrote:I regularly go and practice stalls, in all configurations. That calibrates it nicely.

Doesn't everybody do this?

Not on every flight. Once I was told that the aircraft I was renting had a u/s stall warning (it had been working the previous time I'd flown it and was working again the next time) - I wouldn't have known if I hadn't been told (I don't recall whether the "being told" was verbally and/or in the paperwork, but I knew one way or the other).
Dave W wrote:
Full Metal Jackass wrote:That's the point, how well do you know your stall warning is working, without calibrating it.

I regularly go and practice stalls, in all configurations. That calibrates it nicely.

Yup. :thumright:
By IainD
Dave W wrote:
Full Metal Jackass wrote:That's the point, how well do you know your stall warning is working, without calibrating it.

I regularly go and practice stalls, in all configurations. That calibrates it nicely.

I also stall in various loading conditions. (Strangely, some pax enjoy it. Need to do it at MAUM annually anyway).

Stall warner testing both on and off in all configs is part of the LAA flight test every annual on ours. We regularly check it anyway as its simply a metal tab in leading edge of wing that can get bent slightly. we have about an 5-8 knot warning before actual stall. not a lot of margin but good when you need to land short !
Iain
By kanga
Maxthelion wrote:I fly a PtF aeroplane ..and have considered getting one of these devices...You could loose your entire panel on an approach to a 700' long strip and still land successfully on just an AoA indicator.

A member of our Strut has fitted one (apparently off-the-shelf item from US) to his Europa, and finds it very useful
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Surely you should be eyes out during final, not eyes in the cockpit looking at an AoA gauge? Maybe what's needed is some sort of audible warning, a buzzer or something, when a certain AoA has been exceeded. Has anyone thought of that?

;-)
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Surely you should be eyes out during final, not eyes in the cockpit looking at an AoA gauge? Maybe what's needed is some sort of audible warning, a buzzer or something, when a certain AoA has been exceeded. Has anyone thought of that?

;-)

Many AoAs are mounted on the coaming so you can look out, and see the AoA. There's often some kind of audio included, my BK KLR10 announces 'too slow, too slow*'

Ian
*Yes, I know it's about AoA and not speed
By Lockhaven
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Surely you should be eyes out during final, not eyes in the cockpit looking at an AoA gauge? Maybe what's needed is some sort of audible warning, a buzzer or something, when a certain AoA has been exceeded. Has anyone thought of that?

;-)

Or stick shaker / pusher.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Lockhaven wrote:Or stick shaker / pusher.

Toblerone.

Aerodynamic buffet feedback...

G-BLEW wrote:Many AoAs are mounted on the coaming so you can look out, and see the AoA.

It was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment about those who say of GPS or traffic, "You should be looking out"

G-BLEW wrote:There's often some kind of audio included, my BK KLR10 announces 'too slow, too slow*'

Mine just make a very loud buzzing sound and doesn't have a visual indication... ;-)