Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By gyrotyro
Having had to source a new 8.33 radio to replace my perfectly satisfactory radio I decided on a Trig TY96 transceiver.

On paper the installation looked quite straightforward with my old King KY97a at least being the same size as the Trig ( I have since discovered that Trig have a hand in making King equipment) It was supposed to be just a case of snipping one wire at a time and then putting on a new crimped pin to go in to a "D Sub" connector.

After several trips to the hangar and hours of fiddling around with wires that were too short to put a pin and wires breaking at the connector I had to call for help.

I rang James and Sean at Trig in Edinburgh (several times) who kindly sent me a "Pin Out" idiot proof labelled diagram based on some pictures I sent them of my previous installation.

Long story short, I now have a fully working 8.33 radio installed and am looking forwards to hours of crystal clear communication on my flights.

I couldn't have done this without this first class service which is why I feel moved to make this testimonial. (Other avionics manufacturers are available).

Thank you Trig.
Flyin'Dutch', T67M, kanga and 7 others liked this
By PaulSS
I, too, have had the pleasure of corresponding with James and he helped immeasurably in helping me sort out the wiring required for the installation of Lemo plugs, instead of the 'normal' GA plugs, into a TY91. He made things very simple to understand and answered untold numbers of questions of "why this earth" and "why not this".

His response to my thanks for taking lots of time examining my drawings was that it was his pleasure as he gets to sit and drink tea, whilst talking about aeroplanes :D
gaznav, exfirepro, FrankS and 1 others liked this
By gyrotyro
Pretty well what he told me. They have an open day for their staff at Fife Glenrothes and he asked and I of course agreed to come up and give some of the staff a flight around the area as a thank you.
gaznav, GuruGosling liked this
By GrassRootsFlyer
+ another on Trig.
Recently had to send our new radio back for a mod as it was giving the symptoms of a stuck mike. Believed to have been caused by condensation in the box. Not the first apparently but, apart from the pain of removing said box, Trig were very good at keeping me informed incuding a call from the engineer to discuss the the issue.
Regards
GuruGosling liked this
By kanga
As told here before, I think .. :oops: .. I was once on the YES stand at one of the Flying Shows at the NEC. We were exhibiting a part-built School BaP. Someone from the Trig stand wandered past and stopped to chat. He had not heard of the BaP scheme. Shortly afterwards he came back with a brand new Mode S transponder as a corporate gift for the project :thumright:
Dave W, townleyc, neilmurg and 2 others liked this
By townleyc
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote:As told here before, I think .. :oops: .. I was once on the YES stand at one of the Flying Shows at the NEC. We were exhibiting a part-built School BaP. Someone from the Trig stand wandered past and stopped to chat. He had not heard of the BaP scheme. Shortly afterwards he came back with a brand new Mode S transponder as a corporate gift for the project :thumright:

Now that is the sort of gesture that warms the cockles.
Good on them!

KE
By Maxthelion
When choosing an 8.33 radio for our RV-8 shareoplane we looked closely at all the options. We went with Trig primarily because of their legendary customer service, and secondarily because of the intuitive nature of the radio's interface. The radio has been trouble free and all of the above confirms that I'm in safe hands should it ever develop a problem.
Another vote for Trig’s customer service. I’ve been told by Trig folks on the stand at Aero Expo that they actually like customer service calls, as they can break out the Coffee and Chocolate Hobnobs and do what ever it takes to sort out the problem.

In one case they sorted a radio issue over the phone (bad connector at the base of the antenna - thanks Lindsay). On another occasion I’d acquired a second hand Trig Mode S transponder. It worked when fitted, but I couldn’t figure out the GPS input for ADS-B out. Turns out it was older firm-ware, so the said to send it to them and they would up-date it. They did this free of charge, including the return shipping.

Again talking to them at one of the shows they said they’d had a radio in from a ditched aircraft. Needless to say the water hadn’t done it any favours. Wondering what to do about it they asked the boss, who said ‘replace it FoC’. Now that’s customer service.
kanga, GuruGosling liked this