Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By philjlan
Out of interest, what is the distance to 50 feet when at about 55kts one yanks in two stages of flap in a Warrior (MTOW, sea level, ISA conditions, paved level dry runway full power before brakes release) How many feet?
Our runway is over 10,000ft, but some do use flaps in my PA28-181 for take off.

I assume due to the problem they may have if flying out of somewhere shorter and simply forget.

I use the same philosophy when it comes to landings - always on the numbers or the aiming point, although here it means a mile and a half taxi after landing.

We do not really have too many short fields in the region - Monseratt's new, post volcano, runway is 1,800ft - not exactly short and Saba is about 1,300ft.

We seem spoilt by our long runway - other weird thing here, people enter at the Kilo taxiway, then back track about 200ft, flaps for short field and then away they trundle with 5,00 ft of runway in front of them - the flap thing I get, but the 200ft back taxi has me confused.
By Joe Dell
I can tell the OP that assuming he started his take off run on the numbers at Bagby yesterday, he left the ground after 204mtrs. Climbing well. :D I watched him.
Last edited by Joe Dell on Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ROG
[usermention=20738]@NDB_hold[/usermention]
---Put in piper owners handbook revised feb 2 1979. part no 753 683
just brought it up on google using the above --part no. seems to be the critical ref.
regards
By Harry Brown
There are some very good reasons for operating an aircraft according to the flight manual that forms part of the C of A.

Here are two

1.. Not doing so makes you a test pilot

2 Not doing so means your insurance company may not pay out. (something to think about when you yank on 2 stages of flap on)

Many pilots are wasting their time using flap for take off because they rotate at the same speed as a normal take off which will give a longer ground roll.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Joe Dell wrote:I can tell the OP that assuming he started his take off run on the numbers at Bagby yesterday, he left the ground after 204mtrs. Climbing well. :D I watched him.

Uphill or downdale?
Fresh wind or calm? :wink: