Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By EddieHeli
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If the AD is closed how can the ATZ remain active, surely ATZ stands for AIR TRAFFIC Zone, so where is the traffic if the Airfield is closed, someone needs to get a grip of this, who owns the blxxdy air in this country? What is their problem of allowing overflight if no-one is home???
By Orac
EddieHeli wrote:If the AD is closed how can the ATZ remain active, surely ATZ stands for AIR TRAFFIC Zone, so where is the traffic if the Airfield is closed, someone needs to get a grip of this, who owns the blxxdy air in this country? What is their problem of allowing overflight if no-one is home???

Q) EGTT/QSPLC/IV/BO /AE /000/024/5204N00037W
A) EGTC
B) 18/10/20 08:00 C) 18/10/28 18:00
D) 20 21 27 0800-1700, 28 0900-1800
E) AD CLSD, ATS UNAVAILABLE, CRANFIELD ATZ REMAINS ACTIVE

That’s an example.. they don’t want folk in ‘their’ airspace! A few years ago they had a similar NOTAM but allowed VIP IFR traffic inbound, which seemed a bit naughty as most people would think the procedures wouldn’t be in use if the AD is closed.
Orac wrote:
chevvron wrote:Cranfield ATZ presently notified as 0900 - 1800 local at weekends and PH.
Presumably they'll be notifying this as inactive if the airfield and ATC are closed.
NB: In the AIP, the ATZ hours are notified in section EGTC AD 2.18; it should be in section EGTC AD 2.17.

Previously their NOTAM has said ‘AD Closed but ATZ remains active’ (or words to that effect’. They don’t like people overflying.

Yeah just looked; that' s what they're saying. :wink:
EddieHeli wrote:If the AD is closed how can the ATZ remain active, surely ATZ stands for AIR TRAFFIC Zone, so where is the traffic if the Airfield is closed, someone needs to get a grip of this, who owns the blxxdy air in this country? What is their problem of allowing overflight if no-one is home???

Not closer than 500ft from any person, vessel, vehicle or structure of course :twisted: :wink:
Will there be someone on the lookout for infringers I wonder?
GonzoEGLL wrote:Could there be aerial activity of some kind by the university without ATS being present, which might benefit from the ATZ being extant?

It's the university's airfield so thay can do what they like on it I suppose; maybe flying UAVs?
Captive balloons or kites? Large radio control model aircraft?
By Orac
chevvron wrote:
GonzoEGLL wrote:Could there be aerial activity of some kind by the university without ATS being present, which might benefit from the ATZ being extant?

It's the university's airfield so thay can do what they like on it I suppose; maybe flying UAVs?
Captive balloons or kites? Large radio control model aircraft?

It's doubtful, as they never wanted any activity without 'full' ATC. However, anything is possible as they do some UAV stuff now I believe.
I imagine the ATZ may remain active due to the use of UAV or drones on the airfield.
Hopefully things will settle down for Cranfield in the future and they can rebuild their relationship with the GA community and have the GA types and bizjets both operate from the airport with ease.
If just learned through my syndicate that Cranfield will be closed every weekend until further notice.
I haven’t seen official notice from the airfield or NOTAM. Seems to be typical dire Cranfield management.

Does anyone have any further info on this ?

Thanks
By PeteSpencer
Buzzc150 wrote:If just learned through my syndicate that Cranfield will be closed every weekend until further notice.
I haven’t seen official notice from the airfield or NOTAM. Seems to be typical dire Cranfield management.

Does anyone have any further info on this ?

Thanks

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=109815

An action which prompted 2Ds of this parish to move out.....

Peter
2Donkeys liked this
By 2Donkeys
Not sure how you missed the NOTAM @Buzzc150

Q) EGTT/QFAAH/IV/NBO /A /000/999/5204N00037W
A) EGTC
B) 18/10/29 08:00 C) 19/01/29 18:30
E) AMEND AD OPERATING HOURS TO READ: MON-FRI 0800-1830 (0700-1730). AD CLOSED WEEKENDS AD 2.3 OPERATIONAL HOURS REFERS.

I even made a video on the subject [Shameless Plug]

Nick, Rob P, Dave W and 2 others liked this
Buzzc150 wrote:Thanks 2D.
Strange, it doesn’t show in my NOTAM app.
Anyways, usual Cranfield carp. If it were up to me we would have relocated to Sywell long ago.

I rely upon NATS as the definitive source of NOTAMs and this has been published for some days.

They are commissioning the new digital tower and the protocol calls for both the old and new ones to be run and proven in parallel. They and the staff are not co-located so duty hours have to be managed so that both are on duty at the same time. They are working 100% of the time that they are permitted during the reduced Monday to Friday hours of operation and have no duty hours available to provide a service at the weekends.

They are closed this Wednesday for staff training but start on Thursday with a scheduled program of aircraft flying an agreed program to test and prove the system with known flights at set periods of time that is why at present you have to give 2 HR PPR.

We are fortunate that the Vice Chancellor has decided to make this investment in the airport further changes are due with the new Executive Jet Service Centre which should have good potential for business as Luton wants to encourage more scheduled and IT operations and there is no more space for executive jets.

Times and airfield availability are changing and will change more. Nobody is forcing you to base your aircraft at Cranfield as others are available. As an aircraft owner it is inconvenient for me as well but short term pain is often necessary for long term gain.