Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Given the grandiose claims from the business school

Cranfield has a unique ability to deconstruct and reposition its students to create leaders for the future. Anyone that takes a full time MBA is making an investment in their future career. A Cranfield MBA, however, goes further than simply creating opportunities for that next career step.

You might hope some of this amazing capability would rub off on their everyday activities.....
gasman liked this
By Orac
They've only just set up their own ANSP I think (after cancelling with Serco).. I wonder what the point of that is, if they're going to get a NATS controller to do it remotely? Or will local controller stand in a 'virtual tower' a few hundred meters away?

If it's properly remote, then I suppose everything will have to be booked as ATC won't be online unless there's something scheduled-in..
Don't know what the NATS connection is. Unless I totally misunderstand things, Cranfield ATC will be provided by Cranfield ATCOs operating from a digital tower located somewhere on the university campus.
Orac wrote:They've only just set up their own ANSP I think (after cancelling with Serco).. I wonder what the point of that is, if they're going to get a NATS controller to do it remotely? Or will local controller stand in a 'virtual tower' a few hundred meters away?

If it's properly remote, then I suppose everything will have to be booked as ATC won't be online unless there's something scheduled-in..

Where’s it been suggested NATS are involved?
By Orac
Probably my confusion with the LCY stuff earlier this year.

Not sure I see the advantages of a remote tower then, if you’ve got the same number of controllers just sat in a building on the same campus. Maybe it’s a cheaper option than building a new ‘real’ tower if the old one is not modern enough for the campus.
SAAB is leading on a number of remote/digital/virtual towers across Europe. Their push is to provide a central asset that can perform ATS at other runways as in Eire with Dublin, Shannon and Cork.

I can see the logic of that proposal, so the CU solution looks more research driven than operational.
Money is the driver.

Hoped for economies for the air traffic service provider ergo cheaper contract costs for whoever is paying for that service and the release of real estate at the airport for the development of more shops or such like to provide revenue for the owner there.

Okay, possibly not that last one for Cranfield specifically, but it will be the case as this rolls out to more significant airfields, and it will.
Last edited by Mike Tango on Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Real estate has comprehensively been released at/by Cranfield both for developments related to the university (from which I presume rental income is earned), as well as for adjacent residential developments.
Mike Tango liked this
At the airfield you are swapping what is traditionally quite a large building along with all that's needed for keeping the meatware inside it comfortable, with one of these...

The controllers working the remote tower can be anywhere on or off site as required. When London City goes remote the controllers will be at Swanwick in Hampshire.
Cranfield ATZ presently notified as 0900 - 1800 local at weekends and PH.
Presumably they'll be notifying this as inactive if the airfield and ATC are closed.
NB: In the AIP, the ATZ hours are notified in section EGTC AD 2.18; it should be in section EGTC AD 2.17.
By Orac
chevvron wrote:Cranfield ATZ presently notified as 0900 - 1800 local at weekends and PH.
Presumably they'll be notifying this as inactive if the airfield and ATC are closed.
NB: In the AIP, the ATZ hours are notified in section EGTC AD 2.18; it should be in section EGTC AD 2.17.

Previously their NOTAM has said ‘AD Closed but ATZ remains active’ (or words to that effect’. They don’t like people overflying.