Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By marioair
Sorry no big announcement, just after an update - does the PilotAware/SD combo receive the 5 UAT ground stations without having to switch off the Mode C/S?
By marioair
So there no realistic option at the moment unless you're willing to revert to traffic that is ADB only? Even the golze wouldn't really be practical as (a) you'd have another box on the dash plus (b) you'd have to keep switching Wifi on the iThing between the pilotaware and then golze.

What a PITA!
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My TB20 has a Golze ADL110B which has a panel-mount display with touch screen control. That saves having to control the Golze via its wifi app, although it is very much easier with the app I would have to confess.

Iceman 8)
By marioair
Iceman wrote:My TB20 has a Golze ADL110B which has a panel-mount display with touch screen control. That saves having to control the Golze via its wifi app, although it is very much easier with the app I would have to confess.

Iceman 8)

I wouldn't be keen on investing in the golze as my gut says it's a legacy approach to weather especially not an option based on a "workaround" of fitting a proprietary panel mounting.
By Iceman
The beauty of the Golze is that it's here, it's now and it provides extremely useful Europe-wide weather in-flight in my aircraft as we speak. If you are prepared to wait for years to get the same UAT capability Europe-wide, fair enough. As and when UAT gives anywhere near as good a coverage, then I would consider investing in that technology.

Iceman 8)
marioair liked this
By marioair
Iceman wrote:The beauty of the Golze is that it's here, it's now and it provides extremely useful Europe-wide weather in-flight in my aircraft as we speak. If you are prepared to wait for years to get the same UAT capability Europe-wide, fair enough. As and when UAT gives anywhere near as good a coverage, then I would consider investing in that technology.

Iceman 8)

I would agree....its just the hassle/cost/eventual redudancy of fitting a panel mount for it. plus the relatively high cost (IMHO) of running the thing rules it out for me (I dont do enough serious IMC / IFR to warrant it)
By xtophe
marioair wrote:Sorry no big announcement, just after an update - does the PilotAware/SD combo receive the 5 UAT ground stations without having to switch off the Mode C/S?

Pilot Aware doesn't receive UAT because it doesn't have a receiver and the software for it (yet).

I believe the PAW Rosetta has some free USB port so adding a SDR receiver is doable.

UAT and Mode C/S are on different frequencies (resp. 978 MHz and 1090 MHZ) so (within reason) you can do whatever you want on one without affecting the other.
Also a receiver-only can't affect a transmitter.
By marioair
xtophe wrote:
marioair wrote:Sorry no big announcement, just after an update - does the PilotAware/SD combo receive the 5 UAT ground stations without having to switch off the Mode C/S?

Pilot Aware doesn't receive UAT because it doesn't have a receiver and the software for it (yet).

I believe the PAW Rosetta has some free USB port so adding a SDR receiver is doable.

UAT and Mode C/S are on different frequencies (resp. 978 MHz and 1090 MHZ) so (within reason) you can do whatever you want on one without affecting the other.
Also a receiver-only can't affect a transmitter.

How would that work for display (e.g. Skydemon) e.g. can the PilotAware Rosetta push both Mode C/S contacts and weather via wifi connection
By GrahamB
Iceman wrote:The beauty of the Golze is that it's here, it's now and ...

Not any more it isn’t - the 110B was discontinued some time ago!

All current Golze products require the iOS app. Still bluddy useful though.
Last edited by GrahamB on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By xtophe
marioair wrote:How would that work for display (e.g. Skydemon) e.g. can the PilotAware Rosetta push both Mode C/S contacts and weather via wifi connection

Ah I had read your question a different way. Indeed there seems to be no way to have bearingless traffic warnings with the GDL90 protocol which is the one needed for weather.
Not sure if the SD/PAW people already have a solution for that.
By Paul_Sengupta
xtophe wrote:Pilot Aware doesn't receive UAT because it doesn't have a receiver and the software for it (yet).

You need to buy your own SDR dongle, but the software is here and now. Just plug in a dongle and an antenna and you'll receive UAT weather. There will be a more official solution put on sale at some point.

xtophe wrote:I believe the PAW Rosetta has some free USB port so adding a SDR receiver is doable.

It depends what you have plugged in but generally the classic also has a port available. The Rosetta will have two.

xtophe wrote:Not sure if the SD/PAW people already have a solution for that.

I believe PAW/a.n.other software already have something, but also...

Speaking to uAvionix about this, they have some sort of extension in the works to GDL90 so that it can send bearingless traffic information to the display device. I don't know how official this is, as I'd have thought that the GDL90 protocol was under the auspices of Garmin, but maybe it's out of their hands now! ;-)

I don't know if SD plan to implement any of these, but if they do, they can be easily implemented in PAW as and when. Or if PAW and SD come up with something, I assume it would be easy to code/recode in Sky Echo.

In the meantime, you can have a second display device connected to the PAW to be able to display both if you wish.