Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
skydriller wrote:https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/20150814PolicyStatementRMZAndTMZ.pdf

But this document doesnt say that the Transponder needs to be ModeS, only A+C???

Ah, but this one does. :)
5.3.1. (f) All aircraft within United Kingdom airspace notified as a ‘Transponder Mandatory Zone’.
Note: Applies to Airspace Classes D, E, F and G as appropriate.
Requirements: Mode S Elementary Surveillance
Sorry guys, with family commitments I have not been able to monitor the threads that have developed somewhat beyond my original post and the issues around TMZs which clearly have some interest!

Really appreciate all the input but I think this needs now to terminate as it has some of it has got a Chineses whispers feeling.

My fault that I did not pick up the Farnborough Notam outage and call Essex Radar albeit by the time I had contacted them it would have possibly been a retrospective. I understood my Mode S was with ALT on. I will try to get up today and check with Southend that Mode C is operating. Otherwise will get the radio guys onto it. If I neglected to select ALT before departing North Weald then again my fault. It will be on the immediately before departure check list! Generally it is off on the ground simply because of the spurious or multiple returns received on Stansteds radar.

I hopefully will not need a solicitor unless NATS/CAA decide to take it further. That's why I have AOPA membership. (A plug for us all to subscribe and have some organisation supporting us)

Thanks again for all the input. Last thing I wish to do is compromise North Weald operation which is always under pressure from the owners who wish to develop it and remove flying. Neither Stansted Ops who are busy enough looking after the commercial boys. (Do miss shooting ILSs there when I first took my IMC)

I just wish NATS would stand by their commitment to fund and provide the Farnborough North on a 7 days a week 8am to 8pm basis as they originally stated. Outages are often necessary but all day for a unit that looks after this particularly busy piece of airspace.

My last word.

:oops: :oops: :D
Rob P, kanga liked this
Mike Tango wrote:Take some comfort in the knowledge that it’s not just Farnborough LARS sectors that are closed on occasion, staffing (or lack of) is an issue across the UK ATC industry.

Some (fortunately very few) NATS controllers can be likened to Premier League footballers in that they try to go where the pay is highest.
If a controller passes selection for a higher 'band' unit they must be transferred within 6 months thus possibly leaving their original unit short of staff.
As Farnborough is one of the lowest paid units in NATS (in spite of the 'extra' workload of London LARS with its 100K movements pa), some controllers try to get a posting out asap and if the General Manager does not release them within the 6 months, they have to be paid the salary they would be paid at the higher band unit.
NB I am given to understand this policy has now changed, but the '6 months release' time limit certainly did operate because it was one of the excuses given to me by my GM when I was negotiating to stay on part time after I retired.
Last edited by chevvron on Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chevvron wrote:
Mike Tango wrote:Take some comfort in the knowledge that it’s not just Farnborough LARS sectors that are closed on occasion, staffing (or lack of) is an issue across the UK ATC industry.

Some (fortunately very few) NATS controllers can be likened to Premier League footballers in that they try to go where the pay is highest.
If a controller passes selection for a higher 'band' unit they must be transferred within 6 months thus possibly leaving their original unit short of staff.
As Farnborough is one of the lowest paid units in NATS (in spite of the 'extra' workload of London LARS with its 100K movements pa), some controllers try to get a posting out asap and if the General Manager does not release them, they have to be paid the salary they would be paid at the higher band unit.

As Luke Skywalker said in The Last Jedi: “None of what you just said is true”

Not anymore.

I don’t know of any NATS ATCOs who try to go where the pay is highest.

As for being released within six months or get the higher pay anyway, that’s complete nonsense. It might have once been the case, but no longer.

There are people, both at Farnborough, and Heathrow, and no doubt many other units, who have had posting requests in for periods measured in decades rather than years. They just don’t happen any more, unless it’s for a specific job such as management.
Last edited by GonzoEGLL on Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chevvron wrote:

As Farnborough is one of the lowest paid units in NATS (in spite of the 'extra' workload of London LARS with its 100K movements pa), some controllers try to get a posting out asap and if the General Manager does not release them, they have to be paid the salary they would be paid at the higher band unit.

Completely wrong! May have been in your day but not true today.
GonzoEGLL wrote:
I don’t know of any NATS ATCOs who try to go where the pay is highest.

At least 2 from Farnborough did it by asking for a transfer to the College which is Band 5 compared to the Band 1 payscale at Farnborough.
That's when I first heard about the 'release within 6 months' rule because my boss at the time was reluctant to let them go as they were very good operational controllers.