Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dave W wrote:Just because it's a nice picture

A very nice picture indeed.
If it wasn't you posting this, I'd believe that to be a CGI - it looks too 'perfect' to be real.
Are you sure you're not pulling our legs?
Or is it just heavily laden with HDR and photoshop?
By chevvron
Morten wrote:
Dave W wrote:Just because it's a nice picture

A very nice picture indeed.
If it wasn't you posting this, I'd believe that to be a CGI - it looks too 'perfect' to be real.
Are you sure you're not pulling our legs?
Or is it just heavily laden with HDR and photoshop?

Must be CGI; surely they wouldn't need to use afterburner for a vertical landing?
By Dave W
It's not afterburner - I very much doubt it, anyway. Apart from the technical powerplant reasons why not, that would be flooding the entire image with very bright light.

Edit: Yes, public source infomation from LM confirms that afterburner is not used when the 3 bearing swivel module is in hover mode.

Edit 2: Somebody on PPRuNe asked a similar question about why the efflux was visible. A response was:
KenV on PPRuNe wrote:A digital camera with the kind of light sensitivity for such dark environment photos is sensitive down into the near infra red. So while your eye can't see the heat plume from the engine, the camera can.
By Dave W
More UK innovation demonstrated for real:
F-35 pilot makes history with revolutionary way of landing jet on board HMS Queen Elizabeth

Royal Navy wrote:British test pilot Peter Wilson made history when he conducted the first ever shipborne rolling vertical landing (SRVL) this weekend – a method which looks like a conventional aircraft landing but requires even more intense skill and precision.

Previously the jets have conducted only vertical landings, hovering by the side of the ship before moving sideways over the deck and gently lowering down.

A rolling landing however requires the jet to make a more conventional landing approach, approaching the ship from behind at speed, before using thrust from its nozzle and lift created by air over the wings to touch down and gently come to a stop.

The UK is the only nation currently planning to use the manoeuver, which will allow jets to land on board the carrier with heavier loads, meaning they won’t need to jettison expensive fuel and weapons before landing.
kanga liked this
By PaulB
Flown by Royal Navy and Royal Air Force pilots, the Lightning jets are embarking on the carrier to conduct operational trials off the East Coast of the USA, say the Royal Navy

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/first-b ... elizabeth/
Dave W liked this
By johnm
Now they're pretty much operational (and I take my hat off to the skilled and professional folk who have made it so) I wonder where they'll go and at whose behest..... :twisted:
By johnm
Sooty25 wrote:English Channel for fisheries protection, starting 1st Nov! :D

Is that what they call overkill? :D