Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Sky Warrior
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I’ve read in FTN that there could be changes to the FI course requirements in that the CPL TK exams may be removed and a modified exam module added to the course.

Has anyone any knowledge of this ? Thanks.
JonnyS liked this
By Irv Lee
Sounds plausible if they certify the exam gives equivalent to whatever icao want for icao-licence instructors.
Anyone been on an fic course recently? Just wondered how much practical nav is included
Sky Warrior liked this
By Irv Lee
tomshep wrote:If the course is changing, I hope the FIs in question are up to speed with their divert procedure.

Don't think it was about the course changing was it, just entry?
By jaycee58
I'm a month into studying CPL theory stage 1. Having taken the plunge I'll be a bit miffed if they change it now.

Edit:- Actually, maybe I won't be but knowing my luck the change will be announced after 9 months of study :( .
By Cessna57
Sky Warrior wrote:I’ve read in FTN that there could be changes to the FI course requirements in that the CPL TK exams may be removed and a modified exam module added to the course.

Has anyone any knowledge of this ? Thanks.

Hi, what’s FTN ?

cheers
By Dave Phillips
Bathman wrote:And we go round in a full circle.

First thing they should do is allow ICAO CPL holders to be able to teach for the PPL.

You are joking?

A CPL holder may have the theoretical knowledge but where’s the teaching skill set going to come from? There has to be some form of train-the-trainer course.
PaulB, Ben K, Andrew Sinclair and 1 others liked this
By Bathman
Sorry it was a badly worded post.

Its an ICAO requirement that you should have a CPL. Yet EASA PPL holders with FI ratings who hold ICAO CPL's are restricted to teaching for the LAPL only. This should be changed and they should be allowed to teach for the PPL.
Andrew Sinclair liked this
By PaulB
Bathman wrote:Sorry it was a badly worded post.

Its an ICAO requirement that you should have a CPL. Yet EASA PPL holders with FI ratings who hold ICAO CPL's are restricted to teaching for the LAPL only. This should be changed and they should be allowed to teach for the PPL.

Ahhh, so are you saying that *any* CPL from any state should remove the requirement for an EASA PPL requiring not only an FI rating, but also requiring EASA CPL TK to teach PPL?
By cockney steve
@Dave Phillips said
A CPL holder may have the theoretical knowledge but where’s the teaching skill set going to come from? There has to be some form of train-the-trainer course

Don't leave it there, Dave :) Who the hell is the sky-god /teacher extraordinaire / grand fount of wisdom and authority, who teaches the trainers who train the trainers to train.

Reminds me of the self-appointed "authority " in the Police (UK) who produced "roadcraft" as the ONLY way to drive the new-fangled motorcars safely.........years later these self-appointed "authorities" were still insisting the "steering-wheel shuffle" was the only way to steer....see plenty of coppers who "hand over hand" or use a single hand.

Handling would appear to evolve empirically, with any new/evolving process/machine/invention.

An example of the inconsistencies......look at the full PPL course.....then look at the Microlight -course (in at least one case, it's the identical aircraft save for an additional electric fuel-pump.....so, Mr Student, do you want to pay for the full 45 hour course, or would you prefer the 25 hour version? :twisted:

Talk about self-serving empire-building !
By Dave Phillips
Cockney, trawl through endless pages/threads whinging about flying instructors. The common theme is that they don’t know how to teach. It’s not necessarily the subject matter, it’s the way it is delivered.

I don’t actually have any view whether the current 45hrs is fit or relevant. I do have a view on the quality of teaching that is provided.
Andrew Sinclair liked this
By NickA
I asked this question on here a while back when I heard rumours about changes to FIC exam requirements. Interested to hear more.
By PaulB
I keep on hearing it..... can't help thinking that it's wishful thinking that this might happen quickly.