Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Miscellaneous
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Intersection departures are normal at Cardiff

As I'm sure they are at many airfields, including Inverness where the intersection is as near as make no difference to the centre of 05/23 with the only option to the 23 threshold being a backtrack.

Cleary logic dictates backtracking and using the full runway provides more options, however I can't help but feel that when refusing to accept 900m (in the case of Inverness) and opting to backtrack to use 1800m the aversion to risk demonstrated is not commensurate with flying. :?

For avoidance of doubt I would not criticise anyone for doing so.
By defcribed
I guess it's a considered decision on the day.

While I said that I've never not used the full length, I don't think I've ever been in a position where it was particularly inconvenient to use the full length. Perhaps I need to fly to more places!

Would I take 900m over 1800m for convenience under ordinary conditions and 1 or 2 up? Quite possibly.

Would I do it at MAUW in summer? No.
By Miscellaneous
defcribed wrote:Would I take 900m over 1800m for convenience under ordinary conditions and 1 or 2 up? Quite possibly.

Interesting, if there was an A320 turning final with another being given taxi clearance behind you and you were specifically asked if you requred backtrack would your decision be influenced?
By akg1486
Miscellaneous wrote:
defcribed wrote:Would I take 900m over 1800m for convenience under ordinary conditions and 1 or 2 up? Quite possibly.

Interesting, if there was an A320 turning final with another being given taxi clearance behind you and you were specifically asked if you requred backtrack would your decision be influenced?

It shouldn't. But it would.
By defcribed
Miscellaneous wrote:Interesting, if there was an A320 turning final with another being given taxi clearance behind you and you were specifically asked if you requred backtrack would your decision be influenced?

Warm day? MAUW? No. Under those conditions I'm not going to take 900m when 1800m is available, regardless of A320s. The first one can land while I watch and the other can wait his turn.

Of course a TB10 with the engine near TBO at MAUW on a warm day will be off the ground before 900m, but not by as much as some might hope and the rate of climb will be poor.

I mentioned convenience in an earlier post, but I'm afraid by that I mean my convenience. My runway requirements are determined by the aircraft and the conditions, not by traffic or the preferences of a controller.
By Miscellaneous
defcribed wrote:My runway requirements are determined by the aircraft and the conditions, not by traffic or the preferences of a controller.

My error, I read your post as you saying you would always backtrack to give the full length of the runway available. Clearly if your particular aircraft is marginal at 900m then it is a no brainier. Somewhat penalises you re missing out many locations with shorter runways. :(
By Dave Phillips
Personally, it’s more than just runway length I consider. I really do look around the immediate area. If I’m in the East Anglian wetlands of Norwich I’m far more likely to consider a shortened runway departure than, let’s say, Lisbon where you are surrounded by hills and buildings. Airline types have the ‘luxury’ of (almost) guaranteed performance at all stages after commencing take-off roll; that’s why they do all the maths. The rest of us have no such guarantee.
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
if there was an A320 turning final

At Don Muang I was given my takeoff clearance, but in my opinion this was too soon after the A320 ahead had departed and so I requested a delay. (RV9A).
This meant I had to wait for another Airbus to depart the right side runway, and then depart 21L. A nuisance perhaps but better than rolling into the ground in a larger aircraft’s vortice.
Airborne there’s a right turn to cross 21R and so you also need to observe the flight path of an aircraft departing that runway and turn to pass above it.
kanga liked this