Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
With the flying season coming to a close, looking now at 2019 possibilities. After Sweden's adventure this past June, I need a new challenge and the Malta air rally celebrates its 50th anniversary next year.

From what I have read previously, flying down through Italy is supposedly not that easy, with restricted airspace aplenty and various military no go zones. Routing down through Italy would be my preferred choice, rather then Corsica and Sardinia which include long over water legs.

Can I ask please for recommendations about Italian flying, GA friendly airfields, do's and dont's from those who have flown this route in the fairly recent past. Thanks in advance
I did that trip a few years ago down the Corsica and Sardinia route, yes long water crossings.

It did not help that as Malta was not part of Schengen so had to use airfields with Immigation etc. Some of the airfields mysteriously issued NOTAM claiming not to have Avgas and/or the GA Apron /Parking was not available. Made planning difficult. I hope that has now changed and you have a better experience down the Italian mainland route.

That said it was a great trip and the hospitality on Malta was excellant.

Enjoy.
I attended that rally a few years ago and it was great fun. Hacking over Malta for the timed run was particularly entertaining.

The route we took was via Grenoble to Corsica. Overnight there then across to the Italian mainland and down the coast to Salerno for fuel. Then onto Malta.

There is of course some over water flight with this route but it ensured the timings (for us) over two days worked. The other factor was the availability of Avgas which Salerno had. It wasn’t cheap but considerably more cost friendly than the alternative route we looked at.

We had no problems with Italian airspace and clearances were easy enough to get. We used the VFR route to pass Rome which was fine but Rome CTR (I think) wanted to know ETAs for various reporting points along that route which caused some confusion due to pronounciation challenges. Worth making sure you know all the timings along that route before you enter it.

If you go, enjoy!