Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Even with a fixed pitch energy management is not a big deal with an RV, I normally set 2500 RPM at 140kts and will gain height in manoeuvres.

Quite. I fly behind a Cato 3 blade prop and an IO-360 pimped to 200hp. I find myself taking off a good deal of power during descents in order to stick to a base height.
That's what I'm talking about with regard to energy management in the RV, it's not the same problem that others have, i.e. Fireflies having to start sequences at 4000' as they are constantly losing height with each figure. The challenge with an RV is to manage the excess of energy when you want to not gain height for the benefit of a good positioning score or to be slow enough to roll after coming out of the bottom of a looping figure. There are many naysayers that reckon this challenge is so big, that the aeroplane can't be used for competition. It turns out that it can.
JonnyS wrote:We're going through the process to get our 6 approved.

I'm literally itching to turn it upside down.

Any tips would be most appreciated.

Top tips are: read all you can, start any roll below Va, and be ready to pull back the power all the way to idle and pull G early in any downhill element to keep the speed under control. If you have a CS prop then it's all a good bit easier. Set 2500RPM and get comfortable with the idea of rapid and frequent throttle movements. As with all aeros, start small & simple and know how you're going to recover from any spins before you start. If you fancy coming for a ride in my 8 to see how I do it, you're more than welcome.
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Set 2500RPM and get comfortable with the idea of rapid and frequent throttle movements

I agree with setting 2500RPM but not the throttle movements, that is the whole point of setting 2500RPM, you can then fly the majority of manoeuvres at that throttle setting and not have to worry about the throttle as (on our 7) you can go to 160kts plus without even approaching the 2700 limit.
If I tried to draw any kind of convincing vertical down line at 25/25 I would be through Vne in only a few seconds. I would advise anyone learning aeros in an RV to be prepared to use the throttle to prevent over speeding. I totally agree you can fly aeros in them with cruise power set and it's a lot of fun, but all it takes is one botched split S to kill the guy who isn't used to flying the engine as well as the airframe.