Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
davef77 wrote:
foxmoth wrote:And unfortunately the 6 & 7 are not cleared for flicks and spinning which rather restricts them for competition, but no problem in a 4 or 8 (or a 3). :thumleft:
6 & 7 are still fun to turn upside down though!

Flicks only arrive at "Intermediate" you can always just not fly the spin, and fly everything else.

My flying has been aeros-free for quite a lot of years, but I'm curious... is it prudent to fly aeros in an aircraft not cleared for spinning?
Last edited by TopCat on Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maxthelion wrote:The British Aerobatics Association judges and the contest director are also a great bunch of people. Chris Sills (CD) is an awesome guy and probably deserves a medal and some free therapy for making it all happen and not being driven mad by me and others with constant questions and general effing about.

Actually Chris has won the "Best CD" trophy for his work at the Nationals, in past years 8)
Last edited by davef77 on Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maxthelion liked this
It's prudent to know about your aeroplane before aerobatting it - I say this because although the LAA doesn't clear the 6 or 7 for spinning, they spin very well in American air, and each invidual 6 and 7 aircraft is also spun as part of the LAA aeros clearance process, despite the fact it will never be allowed to spin again. This makes the weak link the pilot rather than the aeroplane, and it's the pilot who should be happy spinning, preferably in an RV-8 (an RV-4 would also do, but it's not cleared for aeros two-up).
TopCat wrote:... Is it prudent to fly aeros in an aircraft not cleared for spinning?

It's not cleared in the UK for INTENTIONAL spinning, but it spins and recovers beautifully. There really is no need to sweat this.

Rob P
Maxthelion liked this
TopCat wrote:
davef77 wrote:
foxmoth wrote:And unfortunately the 6 & 7 are not cleared for flicks and spinning which rather restricts them for competition, but no problem in a 4 or 8 (or a 3). :thumleft:
6 & 7 are still fun to turn upside down though!

Flicks only arrive at "Intermediate" you can always just not fly the spin, and fly everything else.

My flying has been aeros-free for quite a lot of years, but I'm curious... is it prudent to fly aeros in an aircraft not cleared for spinning?

Fair point, but personal choice I guess, people do.

My point was that if your fly aeros in your 6 or 7, I don't see a barrier to flying in competition.

I will shut up on this topic now because I don't think that I am qualified to comment on it and I see more informed people have piped-up 8)
Maxthelion liked this
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
davef77 wrote:
TopCat wrote:
davef77 wrote:

Fair point, but personal choice I guess, people do.

My point was that if your fly aeros in your 6 or 7, I don't see a barrier to flying in competition.

I will shut up on this topic now because I don't think that I am qualified to comment on it and I see more informed people have piped-up 8)

I'm not at all making a point, much less sweating it as Rob suggests.

Just curious.
Also, as Rob has already alluded to - if the 6/7 is anything like the 8, then if you have the self-discipline to just let go of everything then it will recover all by its self. The 8 spins very nicely and recovers very precisley, and nearly always exactly on the desired heading, but just sometimes about 45 degrees off, such as on Fridays near Peterborough.
davef77, ianfallon, Rob P liked this
TBH, there are bulletins out for all the weak points and as long as you get whatever you're thinking of buying checked out properly by somebody who knows what to look for (like you would with any aircraft purchase) then you'll be fine. I don't buy aircraft with an eye on how they've been flown (how would you know for sure anyway?). I buy aircraft based on their condition on the day I or someone I trust inspects them, and their documented history.