Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I’m looking to dive back into the ‘C of A’ world for the first time since I sold my 172 about 15 years ago. Since then I’ve been operating PtF aircraft.

I can’t find anywhere online that gives a good summary on the current maintenance system, so I have some some questions.

1. The old C of A system was an annual check and a Star Annual every three years. What’s the new regime (and terminology) these days?

2. What’s the current rules on what used to be Private and Public category C of A?

3. What’s the current rules on engine age and times? Is on condition still allowed?

4. I read somewhere that an aircraft has to remain with the same maintenance firm. Is that really correct?

Thanks
TheFarmer wrote:
1. The old C of A system was an annual check and a Star Annual every three years. What’s the new regime (and terminology) these days?
Owner self declared maintenance program (for private operation). Full "annual" now happens every 100 hours or 12 months. Also, 50 hour inspections no longer mandatory, but strongly recommended if type maintenance manual requires it, and it can be DIY. We have a 50 hour oil/filter change done anyway.

2. What’s the current rules on what used to be Private and Public category C of A?
Not sure what rules you mean

3. What’s the current rules on engine age and times? Is on condition still allowed?
AFAIK yes

4. I read somewhere that an aircraft has to remain with the same maintenance firm. Is that really correct?
Nope.
Sooty25 liked this
By ThePipster
TheFarmer wrote:I’m looking to dive back into the ‘C of A’ world for the first time since I sold my 172 about 15 years ago. Since then I’ve been operating PtF aircraft.

.....open the cheque book and kiss your ar*e goodbye

TheFarmer wrote:1. The old C of A system was an annual check and a Star Annual every three years. What’s the new regime (and terminology) these days?

2. What’s the current rules on what used to be Private and Public category C of A

Ok, for an aircraft not used for aerial work there is a lower level of maintenance required, SDMP as already mentioned allows owner to tailor their maintenance plans.,...but the LAA it ain’t!!

TheFarmer wrote:3. What’s the current rules on engine age and times? Is on condition still allowed?

Yes, engines with hours exceeding 12 year’s calendar life or manufacturer’s TBO May continue to operate for private operations until the crankcase needs to be opened...then a full overhaul is required.....but the LAA it ain’t!!

TheFarmer wrote:4. I read somewhere that an aircraft has to remain with the same maintenance firm. Is that really correct?

Simple answer is no...but detail applies!

Pipster
By flybymike
My unqualified understanding is ;

The SDMP 100 hour/annual procedure only applies to ELA 1 aircraft does it not?
(I.e. Sub 1200kg)

My understanding was that if the aircraft is CAMO controlled then any work done is done with their consultation and approval (for log book entries etc)

Uncontrolled aircraft may be maintained by an MO of the owners choice.

Public and private CAT CofAs are extinct. Public/private usage is maintenance/engine dependent.
ELA2 (>=1200Kg MTOW) aircraft will likely get SDMPs, but it's a bit more complicated as it has to do with Part M Light, the timing of which coming along is currently unknown.

As a concrete example for ELA1 - my Arrow 1 (MTOW 1134Kg), operated non-commercially, has an SDMP (that my maintenance organisation drew up for me based on the manufacturer's guidelines, I then made a few changes), which requires:
- 50 hour oil change + trivial inspections (+ any ADs due in the next 50 hours)
- 100 hour / annual inspection etc

The latter is annoying, as the aircraft is currently doing around 150 hours a year, so it means an annual every 9 months - while it's not as bad as the LAMP annual used to be in terms of what's required (and therefore cost), it's still typically a week of downtime at least. Unfortunately this comes from the EASA MIP (Minimum Inspection Programme), and you can't change it. It's possible this might change when Part M-L comes along, but it would likely require you drawing up your own plan and getting the CAA to approve it, rather than an SDMP.

On the subject of the MIP, it's worth being clear here that this is the absolute minimum maintenance you are required to do - so if you want the absolute baseline, take a look at the AMC to M.A.302 (i) (I can't find a link right now however).

The engine in my aircraft is >12 years old - because it's an SDMP there is no requirement to do anything specific here, however I have adopted the CAA's GR24 additional inspections into my SDMP as it seems sensible.

The (VP) propeller recently came up to the 6 year point - I didn't actually have to get this overhauled again because it's an SDMP, but as I've not had it done myself before I decided it was worth it - given it found corrosion in the hub this turns out to have been a good plan. Next time I might push it to e.g. 7 years depending on how many hours it's done and how I feel about it at the time...
alexbrett2 wrote: - 50 hour oil change + trivial inspections (+ any ADs due in the next 50 hours)

The latter is annoying, as the aircraft is currently doing around 150 hours a year, so it means an annual every 9 months..

Why are you doing an annual every 9 months? You carry out an annual every 12 months.
If you are implying the 100 hour is the same as an annual, then you are doing more than you need. Go back to whoever helped you. I have seen plenty of SDMPs written with the help of CAMOs (and apparently agreed by the CAA) that are basically LAMP (2 x 50 hour checks and a 150 hour check and an Annual).
If you are saying you are using the MIP, that's not really what I would call a 100 hour, it is the minimum and, to be honest, could be knocked off in a couple of days.
Last edited by Bob Upanddown on Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexbrett2 wrote:ELA2 (>=1200Kg MTOW) aircraft will likely get SDMPs, but it's a bit more complicated as it has to do with Part M Light, the timing of which coming along is currently unknown.

As a concrete example for ELA1 - my Arrow 1 (MTOW 1134Kg), operated non-commercially, has an SDMP (that my maintenance organisation drew up for me based on the manufacturer's guidelines, I then made a few changes), which requires:
- 50 hour oil change + trivial inspections (+ any ADs due in the next 50 hours)

The latter is annoying, as the aircraft is currently doing around 150 hours a year, so it means an annual every 9 months - while it's not as bad as the LAMP annual used to be in terms of what's required (and therefore cost), it's still typically a week of downtime at least.

Ditto that! We'll have chalked up 100 hours in just over 6 months...so it's two "annuals" a year now.
What a stupid EASA rule that is.
By flybymike
I agree. Most of the work for the annual is included in the 100 hr inspection, so it’s easier and cheaper just to bring the annual forward. Fortunately it’s not a problem for us since we scrape in below 100hrs p.a. But it’s a pain not least of all because it splits the timing of the annual from the ARC for those doing more than 100 hrs p.a.
TheFarmer wrote:I’m looking to dive back into the ‘C of A’ world.......

Are you still looking now after this introduction to the post-LAA minefield? I certainly wouldn't. I'd rather get an aircraft on a CAA Permit*, which is a lot easier to deal with.

Rob

* yes, a CAA Permit, but not available for aircraft that can hold a CofA