Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
OK... I currently have a 25kHz Yaesu Vertex which has been rock solid (both in use and build) but is becoming less useful by the day.

So, is there a current best buy8.33 transceiver? I'm not sure I want flashy stuff like VOR (my current Yaesu has this but I've never used it) or GPS. Being a Yorkshireman quality & price (especially the latter) are the most important features.

TIA
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The cheapest on the market I believe is the Yeasu FTA-250L.
It is fairly recently on the market, review here: https://www.flyer.co.uk/yaesu-fta-250l-transceiver/
As you say - Yeasu get a good rep. That does seem a bit fiddly to use compared to its slightly bigger brothers in the rest of the Yeasu range, so the extra money for the 450L may be worth it.

You do get more for your money with Yeasu. The ICOM equivalent (A6E) costs a lot more and I believe only includes an AA battery back (so another £55 if you want a Li-ion battery).
Agree with the above, but, if you're actually going to use it, I'd go for the ICOM. In my experience it's much more user friendly and intuitive - and that can be important.
Worth looking at them in the flesh and seeing what you think of the display too. Some of us have eyes that aren't quite as good on small details as they used to be.
By BoeingBoy
Whatever you buy might I suggest you check out this company before heading to the pilot shops. I bought the Yaesu 750L for £100 less than the aviation fraternity wanted and am still waiting for my CAA refund making it even cheaper.

https://www.hamradio.co.uk/

And whilst on the subject I would recommend the 750 if you can run to it as it acts as a total back up to everything you have on board. 8.33k comms, Nav and GPS. I've been very pleased with mine.
PaulB, Bobcro, Iceman and 1 others liked this
Thanks for the suggestions guys.... I bought the last one from HamRadio..... will prob get a new one from there too...
By Paul_Sengupta
Ridders has both a 550 and a 250 so I'll point him in the direction of this thread and he can say what's easier to use in the real world.

By the way, if you're into ham radio, I can highly recommend a visit to ML&S in Staines (the company linked above) - you'll be like a kid in a sweet shop.
I use both a yaesu fta 550 and an Icom A6E.

I find the yaesu easier to use than the Icom, however, the 12v adaptor for the Yaesu is very noisy, squelch needs closing down considerably. Only really suitable for charging the lithium.

Icom 12v adaptor seems fine.
I've got the Yaesu 750. Good radio but i struggle to persuade the VOR to pick up signals from further than about five miles, and I don't think I've ever properly received ILS. Probably down to the antenna, and Id be grateful for any advice in this area.
By cockney steve
another endorsement for the Yaesu 750, I've had my hands on one and confirm it's superbly built, highly visible to ancient eyes and comes with a lithium battery and all the wotsits (including an AA cell-carrier) you'll likely ever need. for the small extra amount over the next model down, it seems a good investment, as the extra Nav/GPS functions make it more desirable to a second-hand buyer if you decide to sell at any time.

Also, that came from ML&S (Ham Radio) and was £10 cheaper direct from them , than Amazon, where they were still the cheapest. Owner delighted and would deal with them again.
I had a go at programming it....not hard, if I can manage it, so can you! :oops: