Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
gfry wrote:Whilst said pilot is a numpty, they may also not have been a pilot back in the FIS, RIS and RAS days.

Said pilot thanks you 8)

But he was :(

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The funny thing about people using Safetycom for air to air chat is the total panic that you get when you are at a different field and call that you are joining or downwind and they haven’t been listening to the airfield name bit of the call...
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If you want to do that, ask the CAA to allocate you a frequency.

Oh, if only it were that simple, if anyone has succeeded in this I would love to know, I fly and teach a fair amount of formation and am lucky to have a local unit that often lets us use one of their less used frequencies, for most areas though it is very hard to find a frequency you can use for anything non standard!
Rob P wrote:
LZ: "G-XX The aircraft now in your two o'clock is a helicopter"

Female Helicopter Pilot: "I'm a helicopter too"

Another station breaks in

Male Helicopter Pilot: "Is that you *Christine?"

FHP: "Er.. Yes <pause with mike open> Er... who's that?"

MHP: "It's *Tony. I have *Mike with me"

FHP: "Oh, Hi"

<Pause>

I want to know whether this was the start of an aerial romance. Two helicopters falling in love?
Robin500 liked this
neil9327 wrote:
Rob P wrote:
Male Helicopter Pilot: "Is that you *Christine?" ... "It's *Tony. I have *Mike with me"

I want to know whether this was the start of an aerial romance. Two helicopters falling in love?

Sounds more like a threesome being set up..... well you know what helicopter pilots are like.
MichaelP liked this
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I am British and I get this all the time, and I partake in it a few times myself.
Yes it is unprofessional.
It doesn’t matter so much in a less busy environment.

It is an indication of how good radio communications are these days. Radios clear of static and interference.

Just been five weeks in BC, flying. Everyone knows my voice!
I get all sorts of comments!
Never mind...

But “Good morning Michael” said by a controller, while unprofessional, at least means I am read 5x5.

It goes back years; you should have heard what was said over the r/t at Redhill in the 1980’s.
Unprofessional maybe, but a sense of humour makes up for it.

The belly of the Condor was messy, oil and dirt, Margaret was flying it, and I was on her tail... I could dogfight better than she could at that time! I told her she had a “dirty bottom”.
On an 'airfield' frequency that isn't particularly busy or operating on 'calls to traffic' it's understandable. Regrettable, but understandable.

On a military frequency allotted to the visiting forces, and on which the participants had no way to judge how busy or quiet the controllers are, I would rate it as crass and pretty much unforgivable.

I suppose though, if they have got an urgency on the UHF frequencies, then having the VHF blocked with unimportant English chit chat, might just save them from having to respond to any other calls on that channel?

Rob P
Local term widely used here in baseland.

We like them and are pleased to see there's about £120 million being invested in the run-up to F35 deployment in 2021.

And the training is working. They now (mostly) ask you to remain clear of the "Ay Tee Zed"

Rob P
Colonel Panic, kanga liked this