Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If you have an FAA Certificate "based on" your EASA licence (known as a "61.75" certificate, from the FAA regulation that allows it) and the based-on licence number on the FAA certificate does not exactly match the number on your EASA licence, be aware that the clock is ticking.

CAA information here: Re-issue of FAA Certificates for UK licences issued after 17 September 2012.

After 8 October the FAA will no longer re-issue the Certificate without you personally attending an FSDO, which almost certainly means travel to the USA. Your paperwork needs to e with the CAA by 14 September to allow time for them to send to the FAA.

CAA wrote:If you currently have an application with us for a UK/JAR conversion and hold a FAA airman certificate showing your UK licence number which does not follow the standard format GBR. FCL.PP.123456.A you need to inform us immediately at fclweb@caa.co.uk with your full name, date of birth and UK CAA reference number. It is your responsibility to ensure that your UK issued licence is issued in sufficient time so that you can submit your application and documentation for the 61.75 verification.

The UK CAA must be in receipt of the pilot’s 61.75 application and relevant information by 14 September 2018 in order to process the request for the FAA. Should the application be incomplete or incorrect, this will delay the processing time and reissue of the FAA certificate.

Should the deadline be missed, pilots holding FAA certificates with the previous UK licence number will be required to travel to an FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) in the United States to comply with the FAA foreign verification requirements. The UK CAA will not be able to process any requests on behalf of the pilot and will stop providing this service at our Gatwick public counter. All requests will have to be handled directly by the FAA offices in the United States.

There is helpful news for pilots going to the LAA Rally:

CAA wrote:Pilots going to the Sywell LAA Rally (31 August - 2 September) can bring their completed application form SRG2110 together with all documentation to the UK CAA stand.

What to bring
A completed form SRG 2110
Your FAR 61.75 airmen certificate
Official photographic ID bearing your signature (EU driving licence or passport)
A utility bill, bank statement or council tax bill with your address on it
There will be a fee of £45 to pay.
Whilst the Sywell presence is helpful, it's worth noting that if you won't be there, this process can only be completed with a visit to the CAA at Gatwick.

The FAA has instructed the UK CAA that personal identity must be verified in person.

To do this, pilots must visit the Gatwick over-the-counter service by visiting our office at:

Aviation House
South Area Gatwick Airport
West Sussex RH6 0YR

The Gatwick counter is open from 08.30 – 16.30 between Monday and Friday.

Given that, I expect I'll be letting my 61.75 lapse.
By Dave W
There's a school of thought that says that after next year, when UK licences can no longer be used to fly "EASA aircraft", then any aircraft that in Europe would be an "EASA aircraft" (eg. PA28, C172...) couldn't be flown on a 61.75 certificate based on a UK licence. This because of the "All limitations and restrictions on the [UK] licence apply" wording on the 61.75 certificate.

I think that's rather convoluted reasoning myself, but there you go. IANAL.

@Rob L, see also this discussion. (The link takes you to a post by Edward Bellamy partway through the thread, as it reflects on the point above - but the whole thread is worth looking at for your underpinning question.)
Rob L liked this
There continues to be many interpretations of the 61.75
FAA validation.
On a visit to USA FSDO(Denver) the FAA official activating my EASA change of licence number on my 61.75, was asked re the limits of the FAA licence based on the EASA ratings.
He was categoric that the limitations referred to the basic licence only. For example my FAA IR remained valid as long as the FAA 6 approaches etc. were up to date. I definitely did not require an EASA IR too.
There's a school of thought that says that after next year, when UK licences can no longer be used to fly "EASA aircraft", then any aircraft that in Europe would be an "EASA aircraft" (eg. PA28, C172...) couldn't be flown on a 61.75 certificate based on a UK licence. This because of the "All limitations and restrictions on the [UK] licence apply" wording on the 61.75 certificate.

The Office of the Chief Counsel for FAA, in an interpretation to Andrew Krausz on 22 Mar 2012, provided a clarification of this condition. US private pilot certificates issued under 14 CFR 61.75 are certainly not enslaved by European regulations. Only those limitations expressly stated on the underlying licence are considered meaningful for the purpose of 14 CFR 61.75. All other requirements, eg differences training, are irrelevant.

There continues to be many interpretations of the 61.75 FAA validation.

On another forum I posted:

A US private pilot certificate issued under 61.75 has neither been converted nor validated. In a 1966 notice of proposed rule making (31 FR 10475, notice 66-31), in response to an ICAO project on personnel licensing and technical training (ICAO Circular 68-AN/60), FAA originally intended to use the term validation but it was dropped by 1967–see 32 FR 7239 of 16 May 1967 (docket no. 7538, amdt. 61-33).
Dave W liked this
I understand that with an FAA 61.75 licence you are of course using such a licence based on a foreign licence issue so its only valid while the foreign license and medical are valid.

With a stand alone FAA licence can it still be used while keeping just your UK EASA medical valid or do you need a separate FAA medical ?

Just trying to save the cost of having to do two medicals as the FAA one expired years ago but the UK EASA one is kept current.
By Paul_Sengupta
Lockhaven wrote:With a stand alone FAA licence can it still be used while keeping just your UK EASA medical valid or do you need a separate FAA medical ?

I believe you need an FAA medical. Some AMEs in the UK can do FAA medicals as well, and will do both for you at the same time for some extra £, but nowhere near as much as doing the two separately...last time I did it, it was an extra twenty quid to get the FAA cert as well (Dr Sheila Stork, Surrey).
Lockhaven liked this
By Ben Twings
Lockhaven wrote:I understand that with an FAA 61.75 licence you are of course using such a licence based on a foreign licence issue so its only valid while the foreign license and medical are valid.

The foreign medical does not need to be valid if you have a valid FAA medical.
This has been quite clearly stated by the FAA. The underlying licence must not have expired or been revoked or suspended.

Fortunately, I got the EASA conversion done while visiting the UK so have matching numbers on the foreign licence and my US 61.75 based certificate, but have not renewed the UK medical except for when I wanted to fly G registered in the UK
Ben Twings wrote:
Lockhaven wrote:I understand that with an FAA 61.75 licence you are of course using such a licence based on a foreign licence issue so its only valid while the foreign license and medical are valid.

The foreign medical does not need to be valid if you have a valid FAA medical.
This has been quite clearly stated by the FAA. The underlying licence must not have expired or been revoked or suspended.

Fortunately, I got the EASA conversion done while visiting the UK so have matching numbers on the foreign licence and my US 61.75 based certificate, but have not renewed the UK medical except for when I wanted to fly G registered in the UK

Mine was a slight different question, I have a full stand alone FAA licence and also the stand alone EASA licence.

I was asking if I could fly with my FAA licence in the UK but using the EASA medical to avoid doing two medicals, in other words using one EASA medical for two licences.