Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Smaragd
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
patowalker wrote:I've had refuellers in France refuse to dispense Avgas, because the label on my aircraft read Mogas. The solution was simple, they handed me the nozzle. :)

Make your own and cover all your options!

AVGAS 100LL/UL91
UNLEADED MOGAS
BS EN228, 95 RON
gaznav, Lockhaven liked this
By skydriller
Go to Genova....they didnt like the black on white Avgas 100LL stickers we had so decided to give me some red on white Avgas 100LL stickers to put the other side of the fueling point.... :mrgreen:
By tnowak
If no luck sourcing here in UK try looking here: aerographics.com

A very helpful company who have made me some excellent bespoke stick on lettering for my vintage taildragger.
Tony
By Pilot Pete
Just had excellent service from
Silicon Ark.
Google them. £5 min order so just get some for your friends.
By Josh
Something worth taking seriously. A friend of mine was killed flying cargo in the states after he was filled up with the wrong stuff on a meal stop. Lost both engines in mountainous terrain shortly after takeoff.
By avtur3
gasman wrote:The Lydd Airport website states that they have Fuel Grade Decals available to purchase from their Customer Services Desk for £1.80.

That's a poor show any decent fuel supplier should offer them FOC. I couldn't begin to count the number I've given away over the years.
skydriller, Rob P, GrahamB and 1 others liked this
By avtur3
MagDrop wrote: .... Further to my previous post, I failed to mention that Lydd website says that they will not fuel aircraft without fuel decal. ...

There have been various incarnations of 'no decal - no fuel' type policy over the years, something I've been more than happy to play my part in encouraging, though it has not always been well received leading to some difficult conversations. But making a customer pay for the decals really is a bit off, seems a little bit opportunistic to me.
By patowalker
I have just applied for an Air Total card and will be sent one for Avgas 100LL only, which is rather silly, because I will not be able to buy UL91 with it. Ideally, it would work for Mogas, UL91 or Avgas, whichever is available.
By cockney steve
Am I right in thinking "Avgas= red Avtur=Black " As @Josh points out, there's a huge chance of error with disastrous consequences, there. I'm sure the average Avgas -burner would continue running on Mogas orUL91....likewise, a Turbine will run on just about any combustible liquid,though in either case, performance/engine life may take a nosedive. As the 3 "gas" options are all the same "family" doesn't it make sense to stick to the same colour? WRT charging, there are foilcals which are permanently attached and the adhesive needs a solvent such as MEK to remove I think £1.80 to remove a hole in "the Swiss cheese" is great VFM.....why should the vendor take responsibility and liability for correctly fuelling an unmarked tank?
The margin on fuel is bad enough, without providing a subsidy.
There is scope, no doubt, to waive the charge for someone wishing to purchase a reasonable quantity of fuel....or they could just fit permanent, clear identification to their fillers.
By Rob P
I've just been given two by the fueller at Oxford Kidlington

Rob P
By BoeingBoy
Thanks to all for your replies.

Just thought I'd let you know that there is a UK company based in Rotherham now selling red rectangular 'AVGAS 100L' labels on eBay for £3 each including postage. It does, at least offer another option for those seeking replacement decals.
Lockhaven, gaznav liked this
By BackPacker
Why not go to the nearest generic print/copy shop, and see if they can print things on adhesive plastic? Most of them can: This is typically used to put logos and other stickers on cars. If it's good enough for a car that lives outside 24/7, it should also be OK for an aircraft that lives most its life in a hangar.
By PeteSpencer
Large black printed labels recently appeared on our arrer, opposite the red 'Avgas' flashes, giving fuel capacities to tabs and to brim:

In US Gallons.

wtf?
By avtur3
BackPacker wrote:Why not go to the nearest generic print/copy shop, and see if they can print things on adhesive plastic? Most of them can: This is typically used to put logos and other stickers on cars. If it's good enough for a car that lives outside 24/7, it should also be OK for an aircraft that lives most its life in a hangar.

It's not so much the out living that has to be considered as the reaction to the odd drop of Avgas being spilt on them. But I'll say again given the labels contribution safety, as in misfuelling avoidance, decent labels should be provided FOC by any decent fuelling operation.
By GrahamB
How about some stickers for 91UL, or some that depict both 100LL and 91UL?