Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
At (say) Kemble where there is a LH cct on 26, could I turn right if I wanted to depart to the North? Could the FISO allow me to do this, or would I have to turn left and climb into the overhead? Could I depart straight out (noise areas notwithstanding) and turn right outside the ATZ?
as it happens t'other day I was at Turweston when they were using 27R
me - ready for departure
wind - direct across the runway
me say me fancy use 09 (points me straight home, saves 2 1/2 oz fuel)
at you discretion, nothing known to affect
so off I went

if you tell 'em what you're doing you can get away with murder!
(if only Ryanair did that :) )
Highland Park wrote:An AGCS can't give any instructions, only information...

Ian

No one mentioned instructions, only advice, which is perfectly fine where local concerns about neighours are important. I've seen departures turn out the wrong way, in contradiction to local published procedures just because it's shorter for their route. If the radio guy points it out then good on her/him.
ChrisRowland wrote:Would the information published on the airfield web site count as instructions from the aerodrome authority?..

No, not instructions from them. Not according to the letter of the Law.
But if I were asked by Councel under oath: "Before the incident that caused said injury and destruction, did you avail yourself of all information for the safe conduct of your flight?"

then I would include everything wot I'd garnered from all sources.
Another area which is often misunderstood is paragraph 8.84 below (my bold). Kemble Information tend to do this if vehicular traffic is crossing the other end of the r/w 26.

“In order to expedite departing traffic, an AFISO may request a departing pilot to report lined up, when a previously landed aircraft or traffic crossing the runway has yet to complete a backtrack and/or vacate the runway. In such situations, the departing pilot shall be informed of the landed, backtracking, or crossing traffic, as well as other relevant circuit traffic, so that they can decide whether they consider it safe to line up...”

The aircraft commander should decide if it is safe to proceed or “Nagative Holding”. Hence the phraseology of the request is “Report lined up” and not and instruction to “Line up and wait”
mmcp42 wrote:if you tell 'em what you're doing you can get away with murder!
(if only Ryanair did that :) )

Hanging around an airport once waiting for my then girlfriend to get back, listening on the radio. Pilot was offered a choice of a normal circuit to the into-wind runway in use, or a straight in with a tailwind as it wasn't busy (this was Luton). So I knew before she did that her flight was about to be slammed onto the runway followed by hard braking.
PaulB wrote:At (say) Kemble where there is a LH cct on 26, could I turn right if I wanted to depart to the North? Could the FISO allow me to do this, or would I have to turn left and climb into the overhead? Could I depart straight out (noise areas notwithstanding) and turn right outside the ATZ?

You could request RTO, in which case (unless prohibited by local planning conditions*) the FISO could reply 'No known traffic to affect RTO' or 'traffic is ....etc'.
*Pilots may not realise that some procedures are governed by either the local authority in the form of conditional planning permission or by (in the case of a licensed airfield) the airport consultative committee.