Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Full Metal Jackass
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
uAvionix-Ramsey wrote:Official uAvionix post - I've been monitoring this crazy thread. I appreciate the support from those who like our products (both current and future).

5. "plug and play" capability with existing flarm equipment. They use the same serial ICD - if you have one, plug it in through a supplied cable and SE2 will translate that data to the EFB app along with the ADS-B data.

Hopefully that helps more than it hurts.

Thanks for the replies; I have registered for info when available as I would like to have ADS-B out. The SIL level of Sky Echo makes it very interesting but I still have a few questions I'd like to ask:

1) I have a Flarm Eagle. It is connected via a serial to USB converter to my PAW and powered via a 12v cigarette socket in my plane. There was / is no supplied data cable with the unit - how should it be connected? I am presuming it will retain it's separate power source?

2) How will PAW support be added? Via a separate module? Will this require an additional power supply?

3) Will the user have to choose between PAW / Flarm reception or can both be added as options?

4) When will the results of the trials of simultaneous Sky Echo & Mode S be announced?

5) When will the approval to use outside of UK airspace be gained?

Thanks.
leemoore1966 wrote:
gaznav wrote:...I also baulked at the ‘Licence Fee’, I know it’s only £18 a year...

Gaz
Do you know amybody who has paid £18 for a license ?
Fake information perhaps ?

Please provide a reference
License renewal is £11.99 + VAT
Factual information

You earlier made a point about a price being quoted incorrectly by £1, which was an error of 1 in 420 which is 0.0024% innacurate, whereas here you quote a figure which is 25% innaccurate, seems a little unbalanced I think we can agree?

Thx
Lee

True colours beginning to shine through? I am quite surprised at you lowering the debate to this level, but I suspect a Mod will leap to your defence shortly.
leemoore1966 wrote:
gaznav wrote:...I also baulked at the ‘Licence Fee’, I know it’s only £18 a year...

Gaz

Factual information

You earlier made a point about a price being quoted incorrectly by £1, which was an error of 1 in 420 which is 0.0024% innacurate, whereas here you quote a figure which is 25% innaccurate, seems a little unbalanced I think we can agree?

Thx
Lee

Lee

From your website:

Pricing

Licenses cost £15 + vat for the first year.

All licenses then cost £12 + vat per year thereafter.

£15+VAT = £18 where I come from? :lol: :lol:

PS. I won’t quibble over the 1p from the £12 :thumright:
Last edited by gaznav on Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Fairy wrote:Gaz,
Given your aversion to multiple devices connected together in the cockpit:
This is a quality product that won’t end up in a clatter of bits on the cockpit floor or have wires/antennae all over the place.

The detection of FLARM is vital to give the complete EC picture.
The options for FLARM are two-fold. Either connect a FLARM/PFLARM unit to SkyEcho via a single cable that will then display FLARM along with the ADS-B. Or wait for the receive only FLARM module that they are developing. It’s not internal to the current SkyEcho box. That is under development, so the fall back is something like a FLARM Eagle.

How will the new FLARM module be connected?
What external antenna does it need?
Where does it get its power supply?
How much will it cost?

Note:
FLARM Eagle needs external antenna and power supply and currently costs more than SkyEcho2.

No idea. How about emaiiling Uavionix? Remember I don’t work for them.

What I was told is that you can connect an existing FLARM to the device or they developing a module that recieves FLARM. Not too sure what that is, so again, why not ask them at the LAA Rally if you are going? :thumleft:

Edit: Sorry, I see that has been answered after I read through the posts :roll:
Last edited by gaznav on Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll try to hit several of the questions here:

1. Yearly fee for flarm in SE2? Not currently, but he fee isn't small. If you compare the cost of our device against the cost of existing flarm devices - you might get a sense for the rough size of the fee. We are looking into whether there is a model to spread the cost out - but we are just exploring currently.

2. Flarm eagle will connect similarly to SE2. On the bottom of SE2 is a USB-C connector. These devices will still need to supply their own power, but our future add-ons will be powered by SE2.

3. PAW support - still evaluating. Considering the same selection method for the 2nd radio (PAW/FLARM/ or UAT) and/or a separate module. The separate module may be dual flarm/p3i.

4. Mode S trials - I wish I knew this as well. It is in CAA's hands. Anecdotally, I don't think there were problems but the trial sample size may not have been large enough to make a confident determination.

5. Outside of UK use. We (as well as PAW, flarm, trig, garmin, others) are all part of an ECWG there. Others are other CAAs, ANSPs, Eurocontrol, AOPAs, etc. Big group, and we appear to only be meeting a 2-3 times a year (too slow!). In my mind at least, there doesn't seem to be a question of if, but when - and also the question is how to accommodate other non-ADS-B technologies - and in what aircraft/use cases. My personal perception is that SIL 1 will likely be required for the ADS-B solutions.

6. I don't have a good timeline for when the extra modules will be ready. Or a price. I'm hoping for the start of the spring flying season.
@uAvionix-Ramsey

Thank you for coming in with the answers - as ever very useful :thumleft:

I’ll still be interested in buying one going on the performance of the current one I have. I suspect others will be too.

I also see you are also doing the Vektor now for ground vehicles which is great for Air Traffic to keep tabs on where the fire/rescue, airfield manager and bird-control vehicles are. It would also give a warning if the runway was occupied and you didn’t see the vehicle on take off or approach.

I still think low powerADS-B is the only current hope for a common standard. The SIL=1 and NIC=6(?) is already a game changer and if you can get the Mode S agreed then that is ‘game, set and match’ until the next global standard comes along.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:For me to consider the Sky Echo the use in European Airspace use needs to be sorted as well as the ModeS + SkyEcho.

To consider the PAW it would have to transmit ADS-B out.

@Flyin'Dutch'

I agree but the ADS-B has to be SIL=1 otherwise ATC and others will filter you out. :thumleft:
TC_LTN wrote:
leemoore1966 wrote:

Gaz

Factual information

Thx
Lee

True colours beginning to shine through? I am quite surprised at you lowering the debate to this level, but I suspect a Mod will leap to your defence shortly.

@TC_LTN

Not to worry I have a thick hide after years’ of RAF Crew Room banter - like cricket sledging on steroids. Valid question from Lee and hopefully a reasonably ‘referenced’ reply :thumright:
gaznav wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:For me to consider the Sky Echo the use in European Airspace use needs to be sorted as well as the ModeS + SkyEcho.
To consider the PAW it would have to transmit ADS-B out.

@Flyin'Dutch'
I agree but the ADS-B has to be SIL=1 otherwise ATC and others will filter you out. :thumleft:

Could you be specific about which 'ATC' and who the others are? How often is SIL=0 filtered out ?