Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Full Metal Jackass wrote:But that's the point. The trial has - until now - only been carried out by aircraft in the circuit.

I'm not sure this is correct, I know of people in the trial and they didn't just stay in the circuit as far as I know.
Shoestring Flyer wrote:
gaznav wrote:The unit comes with the RAM mount and the carry case - it’s all a part of the deal. I’m guessing the shipping is a signed for internatiinal delivery that is fully insured for the £419 unit?

The Ram Mount and the case are £48 extra and are not part of the deal, they are £48 extra. With these 'extras' it is £467!

My apologies, my mistake on that. As it all came together then I expected it was all part of the same. Personally, I would buy the mount for that money - it’s a must in my view, but would probably skip the case. :thumright:
@Mike Tango
You could substitute Mac for SkyEcho and and Windows for the PAW/Rosetta option and, well, just and...

Not in my case. It's Mac and PAW for me :D :D

(PS: I'm just being facetious; I do know the point you were making :thumleft: )
Did you get the mount with the free one you were sent?

gaznav wrote:
Shoestring Flyer wrote:
gaznav wrote:The unit comes with the RAM mount and the carry case - it’s all a part of the deal. I’m guessing the shipping is a signed for internatiinal delivery that is fully insured for the £419 unit?

The Ram Mount and the case are £48 extra and are not part of the deal, they are £48 extra. With these 'extras' it is £467!

My apologies, my mistake on that. As it all came together then I expected it was all part of the same. Personally, I would buy the mount for that money - it’s a must in my view, but would probably skip the case. :thumright:
^^^ Yes, although I don’t know if I can keep any of it yet :thumright:

I’m still really impressed with it. As I said, the mount is definitely worth £24, but I’m not so sure I would pay the same for the bag. I would probably buy a padded zippered pencil case for £5-£10 instead. Also, I guess it makes sense to sell the mount separately as some will want to use a different mounting solution - as I said, it has a standard 1/4-20 camera screw thread on the back and so a variety of other mounts will also work.
I thought about this on the drive around to Biggin Hill today - weather was too poor to fly!

Here are some pictures of what you do get for your £24. A custom bag, with a smart uAvionix logo and matching logo zips. Also, a foam cut-out to take your SkyEcho 2 and the RAM mount.

This is only 5% of the price and really does finish it off nicely. So thinking about it, if I paid £443 for the device and mount, then paying £467 is probably worth it. It still gives you the LPATS that we were after for under the magical £500 - even if you do want to include the shipping as well :thumleft:
By gaznav
It seems the Australians have also stated that ADS-B is their favoured method in a press release yesterday. They are also using the pioneering model set forth by the UK:

https://www.casa.gov.au/media-release/l ... -ads-b-way

https://consultation.casa.gov.au/regula ... /dp1701as/

Portable ADS-B devices meeting at least the FAA TSO-C199 or the latest UK CAA Electronic Conspicuity standards will be useable for all types of VFR operation (powered or non-powered) in Classes D, E and G airspace.

:thumleft:
By tomshep
Portable ADS-B devices meeting at least the FAA TSO-C199 or the latest UK CAA Electronic Conspicuity standards will be useable for all types of VFR operation (powered or non-powered) in Classes D, E and G airspace.

All types of VFR operation. Wonder if that means transponder equivalence, as it would seem to suggest.
Instead can we have a discussion about the technicalities of getting the best possible EC solution - ie. have both together.

To my mind, ads-b is the best system to allow my position to be visible to as many people as possible - however Pilotaware gives better visibility of others to me.

As a renter, I am bound by things I can carry on, so I can’t see ads-b being available to me for quite some time. Hence skyecho has a massive appeal.

Obviously uavionix are talking about incorporating pilotaware and flarm into their product at some point in the future, but I already have a pilotaware, so using this existing unit would be the straightforward option.

I assume in the first instance I could run a skyecho and pilotaware in the same aircraft separately without interference as long as hex codes were set to match.

So could I use the skyecho purely pinging out my ads-b squitter while the pilotaware (set as groundstation so receive only?) connected to Skydemon provides traffic information?

Ignoring the cost of the combo and the complexity of having two separate systems to set up, this to my mind would be the best performance EC setup for a renter.

As per title - we’ve had the debate about which is better, so please keep this to the practicalities.
You're asking a lot there, but, before this thread is locked I can offer:
At the moment, you aren't supposed to use Skyecho out if you have a Mode S transponder, but I would. That would help others but there aren't many GA out there to appreciate the effort.
As you say, you will see lots more with Pilotaware, but only Pilotaware users will see your GPS position and baro height, the rest would be up to existing systems on the aircraft which are likely to be Mode C, or even Mode S.

So, you have Pilotaware and see most stuff. You can add Skyecho which would add ADS-B 'Out' to the 'In' you already have, so the those GA that can see ADS-B 'In' (but not Modes C/S and OGN-R) can see you but it doesn't increase your SA.

I'm not sure that's what you want, but that's what it is (IMO?)

[edit]IMO the natural way to do ADS-B Out is to upgrade your transponder (if you have one, our share has an S), we would have one already if Garmin didn't demand the cost of a transponder to upgrade the 'Mode S/ES ready' Garmin 330 to ES, after we paid extra to have it 'ES ready'! {Nurse!, more meds!}[/edit]
Last edited by neilmurg on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Dave W
Topics merged.

There's little practical difference between the subject of this latest thread tonight and the myriad others on EC, so they are going to be kept together in order to respect those forumites that do not wish to wade through multiple threads on the subject.

We'd be grateful if that philosophy is adhered to - thanks, everyone.
By Dave W
And also why I merged it.

Such threads will inevitably converge, as we have already seen several times, so I have short-circuited that process.

Thank you for your understanding.