Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By GolfHotel
I am a great fan of SD. I think it is a great asset in the cockpit.

But no way would I rely on a tablet for flight critical, or infringement critical functions. I had an Android tablet let me down one day. It just wouldn’t work after a thunderstorm passed over. That left me with some difficult flying to get home that day. I’ve had overheating problems a couple of times since changing to an iPad.
By FlarePath
kanga wrote:
FlarePath wrote:..
I always thought if SD could be available on a dedicated aviation GPS that would be the best of both worlds....

Would not a tablet (with GPS, and maybe Bluetooth for PilotAware) running SD and nothing else be a 'dedicated aviation GPS with SD' ? :)

I base my opinion on the problems that are well documented, combined with all the CPU hungry apps working in the background along with all the usual software for an internet/email/spreadsheet/video/music requirements etc of a day to day workhorse computer producing a lot of heat and the associated problems of that.

So strip out all the extraneous software/firmware not needed, ensure good batt life, sunlight readable screen, reliable charging, now we have my dedicated GPS.
By RisePilot
While I use only my Garmin 660 for flying; I do pay for the full subscription to SkyDemon. For pre-planning, it's great software and I wish them well. I have SD (flight mode) on an iPad/iPhone as a backup should I ever have to use it.

However, I do note the following deficiencies in the SD software:

1) NO ability to print only 1page of Pilot Log
2) NO ability to cut/paste from Planning Screen & Pilot Log (ie info of aerodromes, NOTAMS, etc)
3) NO ability to drag to increase view scale on "virtual radar" and not see higher altitudes
4) NO ability to show a point on map of "virtual radar path" when clicking on either route or point on radar path line
5) NO ability to lock route, so you don't accidentally change it
6) NO ability to directly enter GPS coordinates in "decimal degrees" format

Please correct me if any of the above six points are incorrect
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
First thing to ask is: How many of those things can your Aera 660 do? Not the majority of them, I suspect.

RisePilot wrote:1) NO ability to print only 1page of Pilot Log

Yes, you can do this. It's an operating system issue, not a SkyDemon issue, but for example on my PC and my Android tablet I can choose a page range to print, which includes being able to print only 1 specific page. (The Android capability possibly comes from a third party print manager, which I need to jave to print at all - I'm not sure; but I can do it if I want.)

RisePilot wrote:2) NO ability to cut/paste from Planning Screen & Pilot Log (ie info of aerodromes, NOTAMS, etc)

This is correct, I think. But I'm not sure how it is a "deficiency" as opposed to "something a few people might desire sometimes". The only time I've wanted to do it, though, is to copy & paste a NOTAM onto these forums - not its main purpose, I think. The rest of the time the info is where I want it - within SkyDemon/on my tablet for reference.

RisePilot wrote:3) NO ability to drag to increase view scale on "virtual radar" and not see higher altitudes

Is this a deficiency? There is a vertical margin provided that (for me anyway) is quite suitable for GA and has a datum around my current altitude.That aids readability and reduces clutter. If I want to see what's above, I press and hold on the map for the "What's here?" popup which shows airspace at that point up to FLnosebleed.

You can also change the virtual radar horizontal scale by pinching or using the zoom buttons on the screen

RisePilot wrote:4) NO ability to show a point on map of "virtual radar path" when clicking on either route or point on radar path line

I don't know what this is.

RisePilot wrote:5) NO ability to lock route, so you don't accidentally change it

Chaging it accidentally when you are flying takes two independent actions. That's locked, isn't it? You wouldn't want it locked and always immovable because you might well want to adjust it in flight due to weather or a revised clearance etc.

RisePilot wrote:6) NO ability to directly enter GPS coordinates in "decimal degrees" format

Again, why is this a deficiency? The format is Nddmmss.ss Wdddmmss.ss, and it's easy enough to determine a position in that format isn't it? Why, generally, is Ndd.dddd... a more desirable format and deficient if unavailable?
By RisePilot
When using software created for a specific task/function, it is poor design to have to stop what you are doing and use a pen/pencil/paper or separate software/website to accomplish the given task.

For your point-by-point replies:

1) Yes, MS Windows which is used by over 90% of the worlds users
2) Would be great to be able cut/paste a mobile number from a NOTAM
3) I’m in a helicopter and generally fly no higher than 1500 AGL; I want to expand the view of 0-1500 AGL; not see 6000, 7000, etc
4) There’ no point connection between the virtual map line and the map “magenta line”
5) it doesn’t lock on planning mode after saved (I see multiple unanswered posts on the SkyDemon forums for this issue)
6) It’s available in most GPS systems on the market and it’s what I use – so why not?

I don't want to have to stop and take out a calculator to convert GPS coordinates nor have to get a out pen & paper to write down some information from a NOTAM. I believe these to be simple "asks" of a software provider.
By Dave W
1. I can print one page of a SkyDemon log from MSWindows. It's trivial. From within SkyDemon it is Route-Pilot Log-Print-Page Range-Current Page (or Selection). Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you want to do?

2. Yes, I agree. It's a potential improvement but I don't get too excited about it - I look at the tablet or PC and get out my phone.

3. If I create a route at 1500ft, the highest part of the virtual radar window is 4,000ft. Is your virtual radar window too large? On the PC, which you imply you are using, you can left click on the boundary between the virtual radar window and the map window, and drag down to reduce the vertical display of the virtual radar window.

4. I'm sorry, I still don't understand this point.

5. Oh, no lock in Planning Mode; I assumed you meant in "Go Flying" Mode. I can't say it's ever been an issue for me in planning mode, and I'm not sure what "lock after save" means; surely you save what you planned - it won't then change? Can you restate the problem?

6. That's a preference, not a deficiency, surely? SD has to choose something, and they've chosen degrees, minutes and seconds; that doesn't feel unreasonable to me.

Regarding pen & paper, in flight you can always use the scratchpad function. (In Go Flying Mode, swipe left on the virtual radar and you get a blank screen on which you can write with stylus or finger).
By flybymike
Point 4 above.

Double tap the track line. It will highlight the same point on the altitude line.
Or;
Double tap the altitude line. It will highlight the same point on the track line.
By Birdyboy1
I have SD on a nexus 7" and a Garmin Aera 500. I plan on SD and upload to the garmin and then that drives my autopilot (should I decide to use it - which I often do). The garmin GPS is rock solid, it copes well in heat, is battery backed, utterly dependable and never drops out but it would be hopeless to plan on and the database is out of date. 'Go direct to' is OK in an emergency. The nexus gets its GPS from PAW or FLARM via wifi and it does drop out and sometimes (like yesterday for example ) SD just bombed out though generally its reliable. So I think I have the best of both worlds and don't think you will regret the Aera purchase; they just roll on and on doing what they are designed to do. People are still using pilotIII's.
By RisePilot
Tim Dawson wrote:NO ability to read the manual

Did you miss the note about me being a paid full SD subscriber, before posting this smartass comment?

I have read the SD manual. Please tell me how I can save or cut/paste part of a NOTAM without writing in down; I don't see it nor do other paid subscribers on your SD Forum.
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
Sorry, I thought we were pointing out perceived failures in things. Aren’t I allowed to play?

Your point about not being able to copy and paste notam text is completely correct. If that is your goal I would suggest using a text-based notam briefing system such as the one NATS provides :thumright:
TC_LTN, kanga liked this
By RisePilot
No reason to be so sensitive; I just wanted to know if any of my six points were actually incorrect and had been made available in recent updates. I also previously had a 7th “measurement tool” on my list and subsequently found it had be added to SD – that is great, I now use it often.

Being a helicopter pilot over 90% of my landing locations are not on SkyDemon's maps; so easy GPS data entry is important to me. Flying low-level, I also frequently need to note and call the mobile numbers on NOTAMs for more detail on the day.

I fully understand no software can accommodate every persons needs.
Tim Dawson liked this
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
Would you like to give us a call next week? We could talk you through your list and I’m pretty sure help you get a lot more out of SkyDemon :D
kanga, Paul_Sengupta, TC_LTN liked this
By cockney steve
Or you could keep an eye out for a local seminar, run in his spare time, by a S.D. employee (there's dedication for you! )A most interesting evening at Barton aerodrome, for a mere £2 token fee. I don't have SD, don't need one,as i'm not even a qualified pilot.-but I was welcomed, nevertheless and learned something !