Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Last month I was asked by an instructor to go for a spin in the Tomahawk since this aeroplane is highly controversial in this.

The spin was entered from 55 KIAS after establishing the stall at 52 KIAS, so 3 knots of additional rudder effort-anticipation.

Entry was normal, and recovery was normal for me. Not much different to the Chipmunk or the T67M.
Being a true spin my instructor friend learned how important it was to move the control wheel forward to unstall the aeroplane, and to be patient in the recovery.

Note the progress into the spin as the aeroplane goes inverted at the halfway point and then the nose rises as the spin is established.

T67M, GeorgeJLA, gaznav and 2 others liked this
By VictoryRoll
Thanks for sharing.
Would have said this is borderline incipient spin? I count about three seconds of full pro spin rudder?

Surely it takes a good three turn spin to becomes truly developed - otherwise the aircraft still has forward motion, until after a few turns a true stable auto rotation spin develops ?

Are they restricted in number of turns?
Cheers
By Morten
I thought it very appropriate that the shadow of the GoPro mount had a very recognisable shape (seen at 5sec. and at later spots as well):
Living up to its name :)
By VictoryRoll
Quite!
Next time I do power on spinning off a stall turn I might video it for a giggle :idea: :twisted:

T67M wrote:Wow! The original video is interesting, but the NASA video is so good it should be mandatory watching for all pilots! Many thanks for sharing.
Last edited by VictoryRoll on Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Paultheparaglider
Rob P wrote:Spins nicely, which is what it was designed to do.

So much bollox talked about this.

That is certainly my experience, and I've spun a number of them many times. I found it quite benign and predictable.
By PeteSpencer
Paultheparaglider wrote:
Rob P wrote:Spins nicely, which is what it was designed to do.

So much bollox talked about this.

That is certainly my experience, and I've spun a number of them many times. I found it quite benign and predictable.

My PPL instructor was very keen that I should experience and then perform spins in the School
Tomahawk.

Can't say that I enjoyed it much: the sudden 'break' and drop was pretty breakfast challenging.
I found it very hard to get it to spin to the right.

But I did witness the scary whipping of the empennage, oft talked about.... :wink:

Peter
By Paultheparaglider
PeteSpencer wrote:Can't say that I enjoyed it much: the sudden 'break' and drop was pretty breakfast challenging.
I found it very hard to get it to spin to the right.

The ones I span would spin in either direction quite freely. However, I do recall that many Tomahawks stalled quite differently. Some stalled quite cleanly, granted with a noticeable stall break, but others would drop a wing - in either direction. So, perhaps that played a part, Pete.

The entry was rapid, but the recovery was always consistent on the ones I flew, even in a fairly well developed spin. The thing I liked about the Tomahawk was that you did learn quickly that you had to fly it or it could in a moment turn from docile trainer to giving you a good hard bite.

I seem to recall that not all were cleared for intentional spinning. I can't recall the reasons why, though.

I have to say I have very fond memories of the Tomahawk.
PeteSpencer liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Paultheparaglider wrote:I seem to recall that not all were cleared for intentional spinning. I can't recall the reasons why, though.

During my time at the club in Cardiff, the ones with four point harnesses could be used for spinning, but not the ones with regular seatbelts.
Paultheparaglider liked this
By Brooklands
PtPG

PaulS got there first :-) - I recall that there is a CAA requirement for the Tomahawk to be fitted with a four point harness for intentional spinning. Ours only has the standard lap and shoulder belt.

I've stalled ours a few times and it drops the port wing pretty sharpish.

Brooklands
Paultheparaglider liked this
By deanoplane
I’ve spun two types that weren’t supposed to be spun, a Rockwell 112 and a Cessna 140. If you apply the proper technique and the plane is correctly balanced then recovery is pretty quick. I was warned not to spin the Cirrus by my instructor, so I didn’t.