Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By iaindings
Hi Guys,

While I'm sat around patiently waiting for the CAA to issue my LAPL, I'm trying to figure out where I want to go!

I'm based at Dunkeswell and want to start taking trips within an hour or so each way to start stretching my comfort zone. I did my QXC to Compton Abbas and went back there the other day but trying to figure out where next! On my list so far

- Perranporth (looks to be a short hop into the town/beach)
- Lands End or Newquay
- St Marys
- Sandown
- Kemble
- Henstridge
- Haverfordwest

What are your favourite places in this part of the world? Bonus points for being within easy reach of somewhere interesting beyond the airfield.

I have 10 hours prepaid with the school burning a hole in my pocket and a requirement to do 10 before I can take passengers, so looking for a dry run for nice afternoons out with the mrs!
By Dave W
A great advantage we have in the SW is that we are truly spoiled for choice. In addition to your list, worthwhile places off the top of my head include:

Bolt Head (walk to beach)
Bodmin
Pembrey (walk to beach)
Eaglescott
Belle Vue
Eggesford (Lots of Austers and other interesting aircraft plus beautiful views)
Gloucester (Biggish airport with a small airfield feel, somehow. :thumleft: Museum on site)

What do you fly? There are lots of small strips, many of them on the LAA Devon Strut website.
kanga liked this
By Iceman
iaindings wrote:I have 10 hours prepaid with the school burning a hole in my pocket and a requirement to do 10 before I can take passengers

As a matter of interest, is that a LAPL restriction or a club restriction ? I expect that you require your licence in your hand before you can take passengers, so let's hope that the CAA waiting time isn't too long at the moment.

I'd add Lundy, but take advice from your club before going there.

Iceman 8)
By ROG
Depending on your aircraft--if its ok for short fields then try Roserrow ,truro, and Bellevue.
If you have a copy of Lockyears Farm Strips that will give a lot more strips not on the basic charts.
By peter272
I'd suggest taking it slowly and carefully when it comes to short grass strips, esp if you are hiring club aircraft. Dunkeswell is well-staffed with experienced instructors able to advise and to sit with you, if necessary while you gain confidence
johnp liked this
I'd suggest also looking the other way. Popham, Lee on Solent and Old Sarum are all nice spots to visit.

Popham, particularly on RW26 can be a bit challenging as grass runways go, but it's big and friendly enough to provide a good safe learning experience.

All three have excellent lunch potential, albeit that at Popham these days, it's either an all-day breakfast, or a half hour walk to the Wheatsheaf.

G
By GolfHotel
All the above and

What about the CI. Jersey, Guernsey and Alderney are easy. If a bit boring as its all over water. If you want to go where there is not too much ATC, Shobdon, Welshpool and Caernarvon.
By iaindings
Iceman wrote:
iaindings wrote:I have 10 hours prepaid with the school burning a hole in my pocket and a requirement to do 10 before I can take passengers

As a matter of interest, is that a LAPL restriction or a club restriction ? I expect that you require your licence in your hand before you can take passengers, so let's hope that the CAA waiting time isn't too long at the moment.

I'd add Lundy, but take advice from your club before going there.

Iceman 8)

Thats LAPL

10 hours after getting the license in hand so I'm not going to fly much until I get it. Not that its wasted time, but I do want to share this with people! Fortunately, it's about 3 weeks at the moment, someone who passed a few weeks before me just got his, so about 2 weeks left.

I've read about Lundy - it certainly looks interesting!
By MartinC
Bolt Head (Salcombe) is a stunning destination 600m grass strip /400ft elevation right on the south devon coast, but PPR requires 100hrs minimum P1 (check their website for noise abatement, no overflying Salcombe). Superb walking area (get a map) Easy walk (down!) about 20-30 minutes to South Sands for hotel and beachside cafe, nearby farm cafe at East Soar Farm a few minutes walk from strip. National Trust house and garden (+ tearooms) at Overbecks overlooking Salcombe estuary well worth a visit, 15 minutes walk, £10 entry if not a member. No facilities on the strip itself. £15 landing fee. £10 overnight.

Perranporth, great airfield to visit, cafe, good long tarmac runways, another stunning clifftop location, easy to spot from a distance, talk to Newquay on the way past. 45 minutes walk into town or get a taxi. Interesting wartime building remains around airfield perimeter, some of which still accessible.

St Marys, Scillies, another brilliant destination, 20 miles off Lands End, watch out for Sundays (no flying except departures in one hour slot around 4pm). Cheap taxis into town. No accommodation available anywhere on gig racing week....
GeorgeJLA liked this
By AshleyFlynn23
Perranporth will be a nice one to visit, a former RAF Spitfire base. I finished my PPL training there after starting it at Truro. Speaking of Truro it might be worth flying in to there too, a nice grass airfield.
Bodmin and St Just are both lovely airfields too. I've flown in to both, however when I last flew in to St Just they still had grass runways.
By GrahamB
At the edge of your 1 hour limit would be Welshpool, with a nice new cafe and Powys Castle a short taxi ride or walk away, and a light railway just a bit further.

Good practice for Class D zone transits as well.
ArthurG liked this
By malcolmfrost
iaindings wrote:
Dave W wrote:What do you fly? There are lots of small strips, many of them on the LAA Devon Strut website.

A 152/172 so fairly capable on short strips, but dont want to jump into anything too challenging to start with!

I would stick to 800m minimum for the moment.
Lot's of the farm strips are purposely too short for PA28/C172 aircraft :D
Bolt Head is excellent, plenty long enough but can suffer from low cloud/sea fog.
peter272 liked this
By golfcharlie
Sandown, Isle of Wight. 20-minute walk to the beach, multiple places to eat & drink in the fine sea air. Flight over the Solent, Martello Towers, shipping, fly around the island and see The Needles.