Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
"Iolanthe" was, and still is, curator of the Cranwell museum. For a number of reasons she took a long time to qualify, and was disheartened by some comments on here and prefers to lurk.

She is now qualified and progressing steadily with her flying and whilst she is definitely not Lauren (who is a Little Gransden based display pilot), is considering aerobatics next.

Iolanthe did indeed attend the student fly-in, backseating in NADZ.

Rob P

EDIT: Having just caught up with episode 4 I'm now unclear which Lauren was referred to above (but neither is "Iolanthe")
Last edited by Rob P on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulB, kanga liked this
kanga wrote:ISTR from some of her postings that (lapsed ?) Forumite 'Iolanthe' was an archivist at RAF College Cranwell. I was idly wondering whether she was the 'Lauren' who was in the segment from there. Obviously, as she chose to use a pseudonym on the Forums, as I do, I shall probe no further .. :)

Great series. Let's hope C4 can be persuaded to do another. Enjoyable for us, and I'm sure good for GA among the wider public. :thumright:

The archivist - actually the Head of Disclosures - and I were at university together, she's not Iolanthe.
kanga liked this
Rob P wrote:......disheartened by some comments on here and prefers to lurk.

Hmmmm..... What's the betting that those who ought to be reflecting on that comment do no such thing. :-(
johnm, Rob P liked this
Waveflyer wrote:You guys certainly know how to try and ruin an excellent thread. :roll:

It'd be dead easy to bring it back on track.....

Have to say that the response on Twitter has been positive (from what I've seen), but to be honest, C4 will be more interested in comments like this from someone who I assume is a non-aviator

than from all the plaudits from "us" aviators (but I'm not really into planes either.... :shock:)
Waveflyer, Rob P, Lockhaven liked this
flybymike wrote:Not sure just how “personalised” these replies are.

Mine simply said how pleased they were to read my remarks, which they then repeated verbatim to me. :D

.. but, presumably 'every little helps' towards encouraging commissioning of another series .. :)
flybymike liked this
flybymike wrote:Not sure just how “personalised” these replies are.

Mine simply said how pleased they were to read my remarks, which they then repeated verbatim to me. :D

Oh boy... :roll: :roll:

Dear Paul,

Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries regarding FLYING ACROSS BRITAIN WITH ARTHUR WILLIAMS.

We were delighted to read how much you and your wife enjoyed the programme. We understand that you both have experience flying light aircrafts and so you know very well the excitement Arthur would feel while flying, we note that you felt this came across in the programme due to his enthusiasm. We were also pleased to learn that you felt this programme was just the right tone as you cited it was 'perfectly under-dramatised'. We would like to fully assure you Paul, your kind comments on Flying Across Britain have been logged and noted for the attention of those responsible for the series.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us here at Channel 4, we hope you continue to enjoy our programming.

Kind Regards,

Peter Lynas
Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries

Your message :
This was one of the best programs my wife and I, both active light aircraft pilots, have ever seen on TV. Arthur's unbridled enthusiasm is the most accurate depiction of what we feel every time we fly our light aeroplanes. Looking forward to another series. I suggest that Arthur land his Cub at some rural strips such as the farm strip we fly from...he would certainly enjoy that too! Thanks for a superb and perfectly under-dramatised show!
Ian Melville liked this