Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Episode 3 is on this coming Sunday. It is showing up on 4oD or whatever they're calling it now, but you can't watch it until it has been on though...

Lockhaven said "I've seen that there is a third episode" which is quite different to "I've seen the third episode" ;)

There are four episodes in total.
Ian Melville, Lockhaven liked this
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:I have discovered a show called "The Aviators" on an otherwise awful channel called MyTV (Sky 191).
There are 7 seasons of 10 episodes each and MyTV are knocking two out every evening at 21:00 and 21:30. The last episode was dedicated to Sun 'n' Fun at Lakeland and was engaging enough to make me want to visit.

The Aviators is an award-winning weekly TV series featuring interesting people, the latest aircraft, the coolest technology and the best fly-in destinations. It’s action, intensity, and adrenaline mixed with education, entertainment, and beauty. The Aviators is all-things aviation – for everyone who has ever gazed skyward.

https://www.theaviators.tv

and also available on ForcesTV on Freeview.

(Where I have it series linked along with Starsky and Hutch !)
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 liked this
As a bonus, 'The Aviators' is made by a Canadian company. Although much of what they cover is on location in the US, they seem to bre inclined to mention non-US developments or history when pertinent, unlike many of the US-made aviation programmes on PBS America or Forces TV.
By Melanie Moxon
I have been watching this show with interest, it’s been fab so far, as others have said his enthusiasm is infectious and he comes across really well on TV.

I tend to get most of my aviation related “TV” from YouTube these days. I enjoy the FlightChops channel, nice mixture of aircraft types and sometimes non-flying but aviation related content too, I shall have to seek out some of the other ones mentioned :)

As for ForcesTV, I have been watching Airwolf re-runs recently and it is whetting my appetite for swapping my PPL(A) for a PPL(H) but every time I look at it my wallet runs and hides somewhere as the cost of an hour and a half in rented R22 is three and a half hours in the syndicate firefly (incl the monthly fixed fee); I should probably stop watching Airwolf :lol:
mattmoxon wrote:I have been watching this show with interest, it’s been fab so far, as others have said his enthusiasm is infectious and he comes across really well on TV.

I tend to get most of my aviation related “TV” from YouTube these days. I enjoy the FlightChops channel, nice mixture of aircraft types and sometimes non-flying but aviation related content too, I shall have to seek out some of the other ones mentioned :)

As for ForcesTV, I have been watching Airwolf re-runs recently and it is whetting my appetite for swapping my PPL(A) for a PPL(H) but every time I look at it my wallet runs and hides somewhere as the cost of an hour and a half in rented R22 is three and a half hours in the syndicate firefly (incl the monthly fixed fee); I should probably stop watching Airwolf :lol:

Try a gyrocopter :thumleft:
kanga, Melanie Moxon liked this
By Melanie Moxon
Spooky wrote:
mattmoxon wrote:I have been watching this show with interest, it’s been fab so far, as others have said his enthusiasm is infectious and he comes across really well on TV.

Try a gyrocopter :thumleft:

Still rather hard on the poor wallet, the local schools seem to want a £5000 bond for training (unless you provide your own aircraft), refundable at the end, but its a serious chunk of change to put up front.
By Melanie Moxon
Spooky wrote:How much!?!? :shock:

I wouldn’t have confidence in paying any flight school that much upfront.

It is part of a bond paid to offset any damage incurred during training rather than pre-paid training funds. Once you qualify or if you decide to stop at any time it is refunded. But it does go against the thing every student pilot seems to get told "don't pay big sums of money up-front", I got told that and I say the same to anybody that says they are thinking of doing their PPL.

Anyway, thread diversion alert :lol:
.. but I gather, from a relatively recently qualified gyro (not prior Fw) pilot, the insurance premia and excesses on ab initio gyro pilot training are much higher than on fw. I have no idea whether this difference is now actuarially justified, with schools using modern factory built machines, at least one of which has been cleared for night and Aerial Work. Perhaps the samples are still too small for the underwriter world to judge.