Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Seaflyer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Want to fly UK to Malta next year. Looking for advice/tips from anyone who has done this trip.
E.g. best way to route/airfields to stop at en-route etc. I plan to depart Uk from Dunkeswell.
Grateful for any info and contacts details for places en-route.
Many thanks.
By Iceman
What type of aircraft will you be flying ?

Are you looking for interesting airfields / places of interest en route or do you just want to get to Malta as quickly as possible ?

How long do you have for the flight in each direction ?

Iceman 8)
By 2Donkeys
For various reasons, I am spending a lot of time on Malta at the moment, so this is a question I have looked at. For me (Instrument rated, based at Cranfield and flying a PA32 Lance) the answer is remarkably straightforward. First leg down to Cannes (approx 4:30),

DCT BPK N601 DET L6 DVR L10 RINTI B3 VATRI G40 ARSIL A6 MTL R161 ABDIL

second leg Cannes down to Malta (approx 4:05)

DCT VAREK M623 PELOS M731 TEKSA M732 GZO.

It can be done in a long day, or spread nicely over two days.

I don't know whether this works for you, but unless you are actually interested in VFR bimbling enroute, Malta can probably be accommodated by most GA types with at most 3 stops enroute.
By Seaflyer
Iceman wrote:What type of aircraft will you be flying ?

Are you looking for interesting airfields / places of interest en route or do you just want to get to Malta as quickly as possible ?

How long do you have for the flight in each direction ?

Iceman 8)

Hi Iceman
Thanks for you reply.
I fly a Robin Regent DR253B. I'm looking for the best uncomplicated route with a couple of stops along the way. The main aim is to make the 50th Anniversary of the Malta Air Rally. As for times, I can really take as long as I like in each direction. I'll aim to set off giving myself a couple of days in hand to allow for any possible bad weather diversions etc.
I look forward to your reply.
Thank you.
Kind Regards
Anthony (Seaflyer)
By Iceman
I have done Cannes, Rome Ciampino and Naples en route to Malta in the past. Corsica and Elba also possibilities. You'll need a customs stop as a first point of entry into France, so if you can't make Cannes direct then either stop in northern France at somewhere like Cherbourg or continue on to somewhere like Clermont Fernand.

Iceman 8)