Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
Top tips for accomodation near Oxford Kidlington for an early start the following morning (and with sensible cancellation terms)??

Rob P
By joe-fbs
Not answering all of your questions but I can say from experience in November 2017 that the Highwayman is a clean, comfortable hotel with a good breakfast and is an easy walk from Oxford airport, hence saving faff and expense with a taxi.
By Rob P
Thanks Joe.

Mid-August weekday proposed.

Wheels off 0830 local.

Rob P
By Rob P
Ah, but then I'd miss dinner the previous evening with two lovely folk

And I find the Highwayman does have sensible cancellation policy. Job done :thumleft:

Rob P
By Alexw82
I have stayed In the Bear in Woodstock a few times. Nice hotel. You will need a taxi but kidlington cars are very good.

If you ask operations at Oxford to book it for you they get a corporate rate and just add to your bill when you settle up.
G-JWTP, Rob P liked this
By Rob P
It's very nice, as I used to live in the area (20 years back) I have eaten there, but not stayed. But frankly I discounted it for accommodation because all I need is a dormitory. I may suggest to my friends that we eat there - they will have transport.

Thx

Rob P
By sky_high30
There's a few AirB&B's in Woodstock and Kidlington. Oxford will sort a cab for you - Airport to Woodstock shouldn't be more than £10-15.

Travelodge at Pear Tree if you're on a budget, or Woodstock Arms as a good all rounder.
By OXF-OPS
Over 25 hotels, pubs, B&Bs or AirBnBs you can stay in around Woodstock (5 mins from airport) to suit all budgets, but it's busy at this time of year (Blenheim Palace getting close to a million visitors a year) so book ASAP. Taxis about £10, but you might be lucky and catch a ride with a staff member going that way (on arrival).

Airport can get corporate rates at certain hotels subject to availability - call Ops/Customer Services on 01865 290 600

By next summer there will be a new Premier Inn at the entrance to the airport with 100 rooms so that will be the default logical choice, a few mins walk from the GA terminal (FBO).
By RisePilot
joe-fbs wrote:Not answering all of your questions but I can say from experience in November 2017 that the Highwayman is a clean, comfortable hotel with a good breakfast and is an easy walk from Oxford airport, hence saving faff and expense with a taxi.

When they were naming the hotel, do you think the knew the term "highwayman" means roadside armed thief robbing travellers?
By Yakovlevs
RisePilot wrote:When they were naming the hotel, do you think the knew the term "highwayman" means roadside armed thief robbing travellers?

OK, it was a few years ago, but unless it has changed hands in the last couple of years, "Highwayman" is an accurate descriptor. One of the worst places I have ever stayed. Rude staff, damp rooms, awful microwaved food, drunk and fractious clientele.

I'd chose somewhere in Woodstock over Kidlington any day of the week.
By Rob P
Well it's booked. Trip Advisor seems pretty mixed. But it's for one short night, I am sure it'll do.

I will report back

Rob P