Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By AshLawson
Hi all, first post here.
Just looking for info about Rougham, I used to live in Bury st Edmunds and was aware of occasional traffic but having since moved, and also I remember a lot of building work going on near and on the field, is it still open or has it now gone the way of so many others?
Thinking of flying down to the area to see an old friend and Rougham would the most handy if it’s still available.

Thanks

Ash
By Cessna57
It is still open, and it’s thrivimg.
Has a new hangar and a cub at the school as well now.

There’s an “early turn out”, all circuits a RH and it’s no OHJ. Make sure you get a PPR brief, and check about the turnout if departing from 27.

It’s very easy to find because it’s right next door to Bury St Edmunds. (RIGHT next door, final is over the town)

I’ve flown in a couple of times recently.

Btw, it also has the smoothest grass runway in the country.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Its open and flourishing: Active flight school is skywardflighttraining.co.uk for PPR (Google it for phone number).

Skyward is active Weds to Sat on Rougham Radio 123.165 , Rougham traffic same frequency other days. (When open they also monitor safetycom for those that don't read the journals).

Short walk to buses to take you into town.

Warm welcoming proprietors and instructors: Highly recommended.

Read the notes for visitors carefully and get a thorough briefing when you phone for PPR as with the opening of a new school nearby, circuit direction has changed and there are noise sensitive areas/villages in the circuit to avoid.

Talk to Lakenheath as you approach (128.9) as the CMATZ is close by.

Peter (Bury St Edmunds resident :wink: )
By AshLawson
Perfect! Thanks so much for the responses. I’m glad it has picked up there I remember it being quiet for a while before I moved.
I’d be flying down from Gamston Retford so the routing would be through the Lakenheath MATZ anyway.
I’ll do the planning and prep and hopefully make the trip down in August!
Thanks again.
By BlackadderIA
Kept flying over Rougham the other day doing ILS approaches at Mildenhall (with work), looked like a lovely strip. Must go back and visit soon.
Lakenheath warned us about a “Cessna Citation” overhead Bury that was very clearly a C152 so either the controller had got confused or someone was getting big ideas! Gave us a chance to roll out the old “a C130? Pah - baby I fly a C152!” joke anyway.
By PeteSpencer
BlackadderIA wrote:Kept flying over Rougham the other day doing ILS approaches at Mildenhall (with work), looked like a lovely strip. Must go back and visit soon.
Lakenheath warned us about a “Cessna Citation” overhead Bury that was very clearly a C152 so either the controller had got confused or someone was getting big ideas! Gave us a chance to roll out the old “a C130? Pah - baby I fly a C152!” joke anyway.

Would Mildenhall let civvies in for practice ILS approaches?

The availability of ILS for practice in E Anglia is either unreliable to non-existent or fiendishly expensive?

I guess pigs might fly....

Peter :roll:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By neilmurg
Rougham had a great fly-in in the last couple of years. I also second calling Mildenhall / Lakenheath, those guys are so chilled, and they don't mind you flying over to have a look at the hardware, traffic permitting. When you first call they issue a squawk, then once identified give you a service / MATZ pen. etc., saves a lot of talk and useful for both sides. Recommended.
Rob P liked this
By BlackadderIA
PeteSpencer wrote:Would Mildenhall let civvies in for practice ILS approaches?

The availability of ILS for practice in E Anglia is either unreliable to non-existent or fiendishly expensive?

I very much doubt it, it’s hard enough persuading them to accept a PD with work. Worth the effort though for the look of confusion you get after “set 30.90 inches, left closed traffic approved, cleared for the option” :D
By Rob P
BlackadderIA wrote:Lakenheath warned us about a “Cessna Citation” overhead Bury

My airprox really was a USAFE Citation, that exact location

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
BlackadderIA wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Would Mildenhall let civvies in for practice ILS approaches?

I very much doubt it, it’s hard enough persuading them to accept a PD with work. Worth the effort though for the look of confusion you get after “set 30.90 inches, left closed traffic approved, cleared for the option” :D

Just a thought: Wattisham let us do ILS and SRA approaches when they're quiet.

Peter :wink:
By BlackadderIA
Rob P wrote:
BlackadderIA wrote:Lakenheath warned us about a “Cessna Citation” overhead Bury

My airprox really was a USAFE Citation, that exact location

Rob P

Maybe my aircraft recognition is worse than I thought :shock:
Rob P liked this
By neilmurg
BlackadderIA wrote:...set 30.90 inches, left closed traffic approved, cleared for the option” :D
Times by 100, divide by 3, that's hectopascals. Not quite, but 29.92 v 1013.2? close enough
BlackadderIA liked this
By neilmurg
PeteSpencer wrote:...Wattisham let us do ILS and SRA approaches when they're quiet
Benson gave me a PAR, I didn't hear 1 transmission and asked for a repeat, he said "Do not acknowledge future transmissions" I looked at the examiner, 'Ironic eh?'
By Aeronca Alan
Rougham used to have an annual Wings & Wheels fly-in that I always wanted to attend but never managed to so. I assume this is no longer held?
By PeteSpencer
Aeronca Alan wrote:Rougham used to have an annual Wings & Wheels fly-in that I always wanted to attend but never managed to so. I assume this is no longer held?

They do have a bash most years but that's not its name.

They lost the 'crosswind' runway due to the building of a relief road through the industrial estate.

The new road passes right past the airfield which now has a very visual presence and has attracted a stack of new business...

Peter :wink: