Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By GolfHotel
It’s a brilliant book that gave the impression of an insightful view of reality as he saw it. He came over as a solid man of character and honor. One of those who stood up to the plate when needed. Straight from school into war. We are so lucky that men like him existed when needed.

RIP Sir.
By Rob P
Lunched with him once at a pub in Cornwall maybe five years back and he was into his nineties. He arrived with his girlfriend (pilots huh?).

Much as you've seen him on the media, bright, still quick witted and fun, happy to talk about his wartime, though more so the BoB than Malta. He may have told the same stories a thousand times, but I couldn't detect any tiredness in the way he recounted them.

A lovely fellow. Whilst his passing can hardly have been said to be unexpected, it's still a thing of great sadness.

The Few are now very few with the recent passing of Wing Commander Tom Neil.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaznav, ChampChump liked this
By WingsOff
..and in the same week that wonderful Spitfire documentary was aired in some three hundred or so cinemas on Tuesday night, the most brilliant photography alongside the moving and sometimes funny personal accounts from some these last remaining veterans of the war. Made of different stuff back then.
gaznav, ChampChump liked this
Very sad to hear this news, what a man what a life. Tomorrow I have the pleasure of flying with a 96 year old Bomber Command veteran (Lancaster bomb aimer). Norman survived a bale out at 19000 ft over Cologne December 44, one of just three from eight to escape their burning machine and aged just 22

Its a complete privilege, I know am in the company of a very special person.

RIP, Per ardua ad astra
Rob P, Paul_Sengupta, Dave W and 4 others liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
WingsOff wrote:..and in the same week that wonderful Spitfire documentary was aired in some three hundred or so cinemas on Tuesday night,

I went with a couple of friends, and I was telling them about Tom Neil. As soon as I heard about Mr Wellum, I texted them to let them know. I also urged them to obtain and read First Light.
By OCB
I never had the pleasure of meeting "Boy" Wellum. I'd have loved to have chatted with him over a beer - and thank him not only for his service, but also for his writing. Like so many here, "First Light" is one of my favourite books.

I was holidaying with the family in Normandy last week. One of the cable providers has an ad running on French telly now with a bunch of very old gents flying Spitfires - I thought to myself "I wonder how Jeff Wellum is getting on" :cry:

I honestly hope that the generations to come will appreciate what Sqn Ldr Geoffrey Wellum and his ilk went through.

:salut:
ChampChump, VictoryRoll liked this
By matspart3
First Light ends with him firing up a Hawker Typhoon at Brockworth where he worked for Gloster as a production test pilot. Intrigued by this, and with my Jet Age Museum hat on, I arranged to meet him at Mullion Cove, where we spent an utterly enthralling afternoon, him with his lady friend, that fighter pilot glint in his eye and several large G&T’s, me with my notebook and dictaphone. He invited me back to his bungalow, personally signed my copy of First Light and insisted I took a signed copy of the latest print capturing his BoB exploits.

As others have said, his recollection was perfect - he remembered his driver ‘Betty’ who would pick him up from Staverton in an Armstrong Siddelely, which would have a habit of breaking down outside the Chequers pub on the short journey to Brockworth, his wit razor sharp and, I sensed, almost a duty to keep ‘their’ memory alive.

I’ll always treasure that afternoon. May he rest in peace.
kanga, NickC, PaulB and 11 others liked this
By Lefty
I had the privilege of being his “aerial chauffeur”, Flying him from Culdrose to Coningsby and back for last year’s 60th anniversary of the BBMF. As others have commented, he still had his full wits and a sharp, slightly sarcastic sense of humour.

It was intriguing to see the current day fighter pilots listening to him in awe - and going through his logbooks.

Amazing that he didn’t write his book “First Light” until 2002, when he was 83!

RIP Sir
OCB, johnp liked this