Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Gentoo wrote:That diagram on the front page looks like an airprox waiting to happen.

As David Gunson said: "...thereby justifying the job of an Air Traffic Controller to keep them apart". ;)

That document looks worth skimming at least, in a quiet moment.
Yes. Something to read on the commute.

It seems from a quick glance to mostly involve 'reviews' rather than defined actions. For example 'review the FIS services offered'.

There is a hint that there will be 'surveillence mandatory' changes outside controlled airspace. I assume this means ADS-B mandatory areas (if not everywhere).
Gentoo wrote:That diagram on the front page looks like an airprox waiting to happen.

To me it looks like we have most of the space for airliners, the rest of you "Remain Clear of Controlled Airspace". Sub Title "stuff you"

Lets hope the contents are better than the badly chosen cover.
Some intresting stuff:

Fully interoperable electronic conspicuity solution for all airborne craft (by 2022/25)

deployment of an interoperable conspicuity solution based on ADS- B and the associated ground use of the data to support air traffic services

Safety: Significant potential safety enhancements from strengthening the mitigations for airspace infringements and mid-air collisions.
Efficiency: Significant potential flight efficiency benefits from providing more airspace users with access to volumes of airspace that are in high demand.

New procedures for air traffic services personnel to use electronic surveillance information displays to support the provision of flight information services will be developed and published by the CAA.

Interoperable electronic conspicuity devices and electronic surveillance information displays.

The widespread introduction of interoperable electronic conspicuity devices is dependent on the further development of a commercially viable and competitive market for both airborne and ground-based equipment. It is also dependent on the development of national standards for the core requirements that electronic surveillance equipment should meet.

I personally see this as great news if it means cheap(ish) electronic conspicuity reduces the types of ‘airspace grabs’ that we all dislike so much (Oxford, Farnborough, etc...) and allows us all access to more airspace and more efficient routing. Then bring it on :thumleft: :thumleft:
Having a quiet moment I skim read the executive summary and its table looking for the keywords "General Aviation" or "GA"

It was a fruitless search. I am hopeful that it was my skimming that was at fault.

Rob P
By James Chan
A good document. I wished it could have been written 5-10 years ago. :wink:
There are 24 mentions of ‘General Aviation’ in the document ;-)

A few of which are:

Our approach in undertaking this programme is to be transparent, inclusive, and to take into account the needs and views of all airspace users and affected parties, including airports, airlines, communities and General Aviation representatives.

And

Airspace modernisation is expected to improve access to airspace for General Aviation, by enabling greater integration (rather than segregation) of different airspace user groups. The same is true for new airspace users such as drones and spaceplanes.

And

the greater uptake of aircraft broadcast position information and the advancements in available portable technology, allowing an affordable option for all aircraft operators (civil, military and General Aviation) to share electronic surveillance information about one another with one another

:thumright:
There needs t be at least a modicum of flesh on the bones before I get too negative, but any organisation which identifies it has done a fairly poor job and then comes up with corporate bull$hit like 'horizon scanning' to show how that will not happen again has something of a credibility problem.

But the god things - well we will be a fully integrated member of EASA - otherwise large chunks of this are not applicable!!!

The electronic conspicuity issues will all be sorted out by 2022, no one is still waiting for the CAA sponsored low cast transponder ( I hope!?).

We'll see but t looks like loads of spin and no substance - from an organisation where the bright people walked away to EASA a few years ago.
Robin500 liked this
By Morten
Interesting timing, what with the APPG inquiry into CAA Airspace Change process being announced yesterday.
So there appears to be a 2 initiatives which at least say some of the right things. In a sane world, that might mean that something good will eventually surface! (unlike Spanish subs :wink: )
Compulsory ADS-B for all by 2022 - result!!

Better coverage via surveillance enhanced FIS at non-radar Aerodromes

Air/Air conflict detection. Sense and avoid to enhance see and avoid.

Dumping of current Traffic and deconfliction in lieu of icao surveillance based FIS

Releasing of BVLOS UAV Ops outside of segregated airspace in an electronically collaborative environment.

What’s not to like?
gaznav liked this