Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Aeronca Alan
I am trying to find the rules that govern the issue of airside security passes at UK airports. I'd be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction. I'm thereafter expecting a lot of leg work in that direction! :(
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There is no method for a private individual to apply in the UK.

You have to go through a company or organisation who will employ or contract with you in some way. Most companies then use an agency to manage the process e.g. Rekruit. This could be the airport itself or an approved business on the airport. This should not be too difficult as you must have some reason to want the pass that will ultimately benefit someone else that can help you get it.

Temporary passes are also available - the process for a full pass takes a while as there are references and records to check.

As well as the pass you need to organise health and safety briefings etc.
Alan : Why on earth do you want to do this ? As TGiaPA28 says , I do not believe there is a mechanism in place for individuals to do this privately . You have to be employed by either the airlines or one of the contracting organisations , in which case , they should do most of the admin. donkey work .
I have worked at LGW for 32 years and have just renewed my airside pass recently [ last one before retirement,, :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: ] And I can tell you this mate ,; it's a bloody nightmare . Because of all the aspects of compliance like CRB checks etc it has actually become more difficult .
Now ,,,pull yerself together man.. :D
Alan : Why on earth do you want to do this ? As TGiaPA28 says , I do not believe there is a mechanism in place for individuals to do this privately .

I don't want to do any such thing.

I just want to know the rules that airport securities must apply. Presumably each airport doesn't make up their own rules but follow rules mandated by the CAA, DfT or whoever. I want a pointer to who issues the rules and how they can be obtained (and then I'll do some legwork to get them and understand them).
Within the UK, where public transport of passengers is concerned, it is the Department for Transport. It use to be the Aviation and Maritime Security Act, maybe still is, but I am 20 years out of man'ment (thank goodness!)

Where the public transport of passengers is not involved then it would be the individual airport/airfield but it depends how you define 'security'.
By Flyin'Dutch'
vintage ATCO wrote:Within the UK, where public transport of passengers is concerned, it is the Department for Transport. It use to be the Aviation and Maritime Security Act, maybe still is, but I am 20 years out of man'ment (thank goodness!)

Where the public transport of passengers is not involved then it would be the individual airport/airfield but it depends how you define 'security'.

Transferred from DfT to CAA in April 2014.....
By rikur_
Is it still the dogs dinner that it used to be? When I worked for BA, I covered regional engineering for a while, which meant in addition to my Heathrow pass, I had a Manchester pass that was accepted by Birmingham, separate passes for each of Newcastle and Belfast, and IIRC I used to have to get a temporary pass for Glasgow issued off the back of my Heathrow pass. Then add to that a collection of different airside driving licences, and for Manchester an enhanced airside driving licence to go off the road network onto the taxiways to get to the engine run bay. Everywhere used to have subtly different requirements in issuing, references required, etc
rikur_ wrote:Is it still the dogs dinner that it used to be?

No it bleedin' isn't rikur !.............. :D :| It's worse !

Because I'm mortgage-free now and don't have any financial obligations , it meant that I had to go to the Post Office with my passport and birth certificate so that they could ratify my details for CRB disclosure . Had I arrived on the last banana-boat then there would have been a degree of understanding of this . But I've worked at this same airport for 32 years FFS !!!

I mistakenly assumed that Alan wanted to apply as a stand-alone candidate for an airside pass. But I'm delighted and relieved to find that this isn't the case.

If he cared to tell us which airport[s] he had in mind and what he was planning to do , then I'm sure that there are many contributors here who hold airside passes and who would be delighted to proffer forth some assistance and information . :idea:
By avtur3
I'm reluctant to throw this stone into the pond ... but ... aren't the CAA only applying what is set at an EU level?

My last tangle with airside access was a couple of years ago when 'approved supplier' or something similar was introduced. It was crazy, the likes of the catering organisations had to have all manner of systems in place because they were loading sealed containers onto aircraft which came from outside the secure area, which meant they had to demonstrate trace-ability back to the entrance of their premises.

In the fuelling industry we had all manner of problems, how do you check a 40,000 litre container making its way into the airside environment?

We saw a great deal of 'local' interpretation of rules meaning that we had to jump through different hoops at different airports. I think it was ABZ where they insisted that the diesel fuel tanks on the fuelling vehicles had to be locked to prove that nothing was being introduced to the airside environment inside the running tanks.

What I remember quite clearly though was through all this activity there was an EU directive that was driving it.
By riverrock
An "organisation" can be a flying club - as ours is - as we need access airside to be able to reach our aircraft. Was annoying (references, online training, paperwork) but a necessary evil. I don't envy those who need to get one at multiple locations!