Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By FlyingEagle
Anyone else having problems getting into Elstree of late?

They seem to be closing for weeks at a time, first in April, then May, now they are notam'd closed all this coming week, if the notam is correct.

Anyone know anything, are problems afoot, are the developers circling?

We'll have no where to fly to soon if these pesky developers continue their assault on what should be a protected industry.

I'm assuming Elstree will open after the following week, but that remains to be seen, if anyone can share any knowledge, it would be interesting to know why a busy airfield has to close for a week each month.

Blue skies to all
Eagle.
By chevvron
Anyway the NOTAM says 'Closed to fixed wing due WIP'.
I know the CAA put them under 'special measures' a few years ago due to the state of the runway surface, so maybe they're closing to get that fixed. :wink:
a.alexeev.p liked this
By FlyingEagle
Think he went a while ago, although saying that I did hear some terrible RT passing there on Wednesday, people in the tower do seem very "Chatty" - although that may be a good thing?
By chevvron
FlyingEagle wrote:Think he went a while ago, although saying that I did hear some terrible RT passing there on Wednesday, people in the tower do seem very "Chatty" - although that may be a good thing?

I know the FISO i/c and one of the part timers so I've advised them of your query.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The stuff earlier in the year was, if I remember correctly, due to the waterlogging of the grass parking making it unavailable to visitors. The stuff this week is indeed for repairs to the runway from what I've seen on Facebook.
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Russ_H wrote:Went there yesterday, it was busy

Elstree is always busy...

Yes, there has been a change of guard in the control tower. The chap who was slightly 'severe' has gone, which in many ways is a shame since he was a very good FISO, albeit sometimes missing in bedside manner. The current set is much friendlier but, at some times, not as efficient at getting the runway cleared, aircraft up etc.

As for next week's closure, it is due to works on the runway. Not ideal in the busy period, but a good thing in the long run.

The cafe remains excellent and although the overhead is not for the faint hearted due to the general busy-ness referred to earlier, as a destination it beats most other things in the area.
By chevvron
The FISO i/c tells me next week is for the construction of a new hangar, the earlier ones being for re-surfacing and filming.