Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By chevvron
thegasguy wrote:Having had a proper moan at Biggin hill for not giving zone transits to my flying friends, it's only right to say that they did today with no fuss at all ; despite being quite busy with executive jet traffic.
Thank you, it saved me time and fuel as well as a squeeze through 'mig alley'.

The guys at Biggin always used to make every effort to clear transits through their ATZ when I used to do LARS East.
Their job is possibly made a bit easier as I understand they have an ATM (Aerodrome Traffic Monitor) in the tower, primarily so they get some idea how far out their IAP traffic is for which they do not need a radar rating; they're not allowed to vector traffic or pass avoiding action but it must surely make it easier.
I think it's fed from the 10 cm radar at Heathrow; pity more airfields like Redhill, Fairoaks and Blackbushe don't have them but they cost a lot of money and something like SBS-2 or FR24 is unsuitable because they only show transponding traffic not those aircraft without transponders.
chevvron wrote:they're not allowed to vector traffic or pass avoiding action

They can if the ATM is approved for advanced uses and the ATCOs receive appropriate training. We were doing this at Luton 15yrs ago, I wrote the Sim exercises. Resolving piggy-back go-arounds and traffic information against infringers were the usually uses.
By fattony
I've never been refused a transit at Biggin. They always seem very accommodating. I was asked to orbit outside on one occasion but otherwise have been straight through without delay.

I find most units pretty accommodating where transits are concerned regardless of airspace class. When I'm denied it's always for a good reason.