Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Interesting article...

[My original post was changed by the mods so i've re-written it.]
Last edited by PaulB on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Assume so.... I guess, it was inevitable, given the string feeling that some have both for and against new technology. I'm a "for" person and if I could afford all these things would have them!!
Fully agree with the sentiments re newly FAA STC/ Certified pre Experimental aircraft avionics. About time we can fit more affordable, safer and reliable equipment.
I will be watching BLEWs C182Q fitment progress, and as soon as EASA approve the G500 autopilot for G reg we'll follow with our identical model.
Hopefully all the fitting procedures will be practiced, and any snags sorted out by his first installation, and I will profit by the quicker installation time!!

Also agree that old fashioned ideas still abound re VFR nav with todays GPS driven equipment and accuracy etc. (After initial PPL training of course)
A local Instructor still advocates as primary procedure, following the pencil line on your Topo with occasional glance at GPS position to check. He was not amused when I said I practice the opposite. Surely for more accurate Nav, primarily I follow the well planned Magenta line, and then secondary, occasional checks on the Topo, if required.
Less time heads down, and 99.95 % on track, using fully updated charts on SkyDemon/Garmin 430, or similar etc..
Oldfart wrote:A local Instructor still advocates as primary procedure, following the pencil line on your Topo with occasional glance at GPS position to check. He was not amused when I said I practice the opposite. .

Not amused? No sense of humour then...

Oh wait! What if he's right?
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
lobstaboy wrote:
Oldfart wrote:A local Instructor still advocates as primary procedure, following the pencil line on your Topo with occasional glance at GPS position to check. He was not amused when I said I practice the opposite. .

Not amused? No sense of humour then...

Oh wait! What if he's right?

I can’t remember the last time I drew a line on a chart and I no longer possess a whiz wheel :twisted:
stevelup wrote:
PaulB wrote:I've "edited" the original post (which had already been amended without the usual "blue pen")

Moderators are editing peoples posts inline, and not making it clear that they have done so?

I listen and watch, but unless I can help someone by PM, or make a post that some Mod might find offensive, I decline to post much any more.

Keef introduced the blue pen, and that spirit of moderation seems to have been lost now.

Rob
By The Admin Team
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
Rest assured that stealth editing by Mods is not policy.

It has happened once, I think, in the last 6 months - and that was an error following a hurried correction, I believe.

We will not apologise for editing unpleasant posts that contravene the Code of Conduct. Frankly, it is fortunate that such posts don't get deleted, as the CoC warns can happen.

Keef's moderation skills remain the standard to which we all aspire. However, this Mod thinks that the forums have become a more difficult place to moderate over the last couple of years.

That is not, I suggest, down to what is still very much light touch volunteer moderation; it is down to a minority of posters. Perhaps self-policing is less prevalent then before? I don't know, but I wish I did know how to return the forums to their more pleasant, more reflective, more informative and more enjoyable previous incarnation.
mmcp42, wigglyamp, rats404 liked this