Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
The Admin Team wrote:....but I wish I did know how to return the forums to their more pleasant, more reflective, more informative and more enjoyable previous incarnation.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
+1

This place is a shadow of what it was just a few years ago..... and it's not the moderation that's changed.
rats404 liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The Forum is a reflection of Society and we have seen an decrease in friendliness/acceptance in real life and it is my experience that the same sometimes happens on the Forums with People taking undignified potshots at others etc.

In Addition some People have difficulty in reading the mood Music and changed attitudes.

Only this week I had to donk a post from someone who felt it necessary to query whether a person's gender would enable them to navigate - sorry we really don't have time for that and for repeat offenders there is the naughty step.
johnm, Dave W, townleyc liked this
By stevelup
Well, I’m going to nail my flag to the mast and say that I really do believe this place is over-moderated now.

It’s got to the point where I have to analyse every single post I make to check if it might even vaguely offend absolutely anyone in the universe.

That’s extremely tiresome and erodes spontaneity and creativity to the point where - like Pete - I can’t actually be bothered contributing most of the time.

There was a knee jerk reaction to some particularly unpleasant going ons and the repercussions of that are still being felt now.
PeteSpencer liked this
By johnm
If it's any help to the mods, I try to be polite, if occasionally forthright, but I'm immune to barbed or offensive comments :D :twisted:

However to go back to the original topic, I did suggest (in a disappeared post) that there was little to discuss because we all agreed with Bossman, the thread drift seems to suggest that I might have been right...……... :wink:
By stevelup
I don’t need other people to be offended on my behalf. If someone offends me to the point where I’m irritated enough for it to be a problem, they will certainly hear about it!

It really is difficult to understand why the content of this thread was so brutally decimated. I never saw it but it’s had to believe it was -that- controversial...
johnm, Rod1, Stu B liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
stevelup wrote:It really is difficult to understand why the content of this thread was so brutally decimated. I never saw it but it’s had to believe it was -that- controversial...

:D

Just to get it clear on my radar - are you offended about the moderation of a post, although the contents of the moderated bit is not known to you?

The poster was informed about the moderation and the reasons why and he was OK with that. He then deleted most of the rest of the post - nothing to do with the mods or moderation.

I don't have the stats but looking at the PMs in relation to moderated posts it would appear that we moderate something about once every 3-4 weeks; there is then not infrequently a ripple of posts and emails from bystanders expressing their 'disgust' on behalf of the poster - who commonly is OK with the moderation.

It's a funny world.
townleyc liked this
It's great being away at the Raduno - apart from everything else it's a timely reminder that General Aviation can not only take you to great places, but that you meet a bunch of great people along the way.

For those of you worried about being offensive, it seems to me that it's actually pretty simple. All you have to do is to be considerate. That doesn't include being racist, sexist or otherwise bigoted and then putting it down to banter or political correctness gone mad – and no, I am NOT referring to any specific individual when I say that.

Have a great day everyone

Ian
johnm, Dominie, kanga and 3 others liked this
By stevelup
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Just to get it clear on my radar - are you offended about the moderation of a post, although the contents of the moderated bit is not known to you?

I'm not -offended- by any of this as that would be absolutely ridiculous. You're putting words in my mouth now!

I'm more bemused that such an innocuous thread contained material that was so offensive or broke forum rules that it needed some posts editing and others removing completely.

If of course it didn't contain anything offensive or rule breaking (which really does seem unlikely for a post by PaulB!) then it shouldn't have been moderated which would validate my argument that -sometimes- there is excessive moderation.
By Flyin'Dutch'
I would have been surprised if you would have been offended :D (note to self - must try harder!)

I explained to PaulB why I moderated the bit out of his post. Feel free to ask him or ask him if I can share it with you, happy to do so in a PM. Whether that amounted to over-moderation; I don't think so but then I would say that of course!
By Dave W
I think many of you would be surprised at how little moderation actually takes place.

When it does occur (and apart from the endless spam policing, that most of you never see) by far the majority of it is the removal of unpleasant personal spats between posters that simply detract from other people's enjoyment of the place.

Most culprit posters accept that they crossed a line. Others, however, take exception to that, which I find strange; I'm sorry*, but if you set out to be deliberately offensive then do it somewhere else.

Very little is removed on what are claimed to be "PC" grounds, and when it is it is again because it makes the forums a less pleasant place to be.

*I'm not, actually.
mmcp42 liked this
If I understand correctly (sigh) , there was a tongue in cheek remark ( call it banter if you like) made about the cost of the mag being relative to Ians spend on his aircraft (sigh) which prompted a ( tongue in cheek) reply from the Bossman ( sigh)
These remarks have since been " Moderated" as offensive (sigh)
Is that a fair summary ? ( sigh)
PeteSpencer liked this
By Dave W
Rod1 wrote:Are you saying that posts on this thread were edited / deleted because they were considered abusive?

There are a few Mods now posting in this thread, but I'll assume that question relates to my post immediately above yours.

No, I am not saying that.

I felt that the conversation had moved from the specific (this thread) to the general (these forums). I was writing about the latter.