Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
That link invites me to install Silverlight on my iPad. I’d rather eat my own arm :twisted:
By Sooty25
would you like ketchup with that?

I think it is a really useful tool, but then again, I wouldn't entertain an iPad! :lol:
By Boxkite
Skydemon Light works on Firefox ESR up to version 52.x something. Firefox seems to not want to update to version 60+ which is when Silverlight will not work, so it's happy to stay in the version 52.xx
Firefox will also not work in the 'private' mode as it does have access to save data to your disk. Probably same for other browsers.
By Genghis the Engineer
Well that was a right royal pain in the backside.

Desktop Windows 10 PC, Chrome, doesn't work.
Desktop Windows 10 PC, IE, doesn't work.

Windows 10 Laptop, Chrome, doesn't work
Windows 10 Laptop, IE, doesn't work.
Windows 10 Laptop, Safari, doesn't work.
Windows 10 Laptop, Edge, doesn't work.

Spare Windows 7 Laptop, Chrome, doesn't work.
Spare Windows 7 Laptop, IE, MY GOD, IT ACTUALLY WORKS !!!!

So 2 day trip's flight planning done, but I was on the verge of using a paper chart, ruler, and text NOTAMs. It would have been faster, but least I have a combination that still works for as long as I still have a household spare W7 laptop. Note to self, never ever upgrade that laptop to W10 !

G
By James Chan
Towards the end of 2012, Microsoft have stopped supporting Silverlight (the framework that Skydemon web runs on).

It's an end-of-life product and newer versions of operating systems and web browsers won't be having Silverlight either.

I wonder if Divelements will update their web product and remove the dependency on Silverlight, or are they phasing this out and only have a standalone download for Windows and iOS?

I see there's no official standalone download for Mac OS X as of yet.
Last edited by James Chan on Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Paul_Sengupta
James Chan wrote:It's an end-of-life product and newer versions of operating systems and web browsers won't have Silverlight either.

I prefer "end of development" rather than "end of life". I don't think OSs and browsers *have* Silverlight, you have to download it.
By johnm
@Genghis the Engineer Why use this Skydemon Light thingy when you can use Skydemon across platform and into the air???
By jaycee58
James Chan wrote:I see there's no official standalone download for Mac OS X as of yet.

I'm probably in a small minority but this is definitely on my wish list. I try to run Skydemonlight (on Safari) but it asks me to install Silverlight every time I run it so I've given up on that.
By Genghis the Engineer
johnm wrote:@Genghis the Engineer Why use this Skydemon Light thingy when you can use Skydemon across platform and into the air???

Good question, well asked.

To date I've not wanted or needed it in the air. I enjoy the flight planning process, I know how to navigate, I have other airborne GPS solutions, mostly made by a company beginning with G to fine tune my navigation and keep me out of controlled airspace.

But as alternatives to SkyDemon, or something very like it are getting steadily less good - it's probably becoming inevitable.

G
By johnm
@Genghis the Engineer

I use SD as primary planning and navigation en route whether VFR or IFR, though I have to use Autorouter to defeat the Eurocontrol computer and get a flight plan filed :D

I also have GTN 650 and Aera 500. The GTN 650 does the route, arrivals, departures and approaches and drives the autopilot via HSI, the Aera does the terrain and a few other bits and bobs. It’s an easy to use and very powerful combination.

I do tune in the VOR and even the ADF occasionally when I remember :-)
By Sooty25
jaycee58 wrote:
James Chan wrote:I see there's no official standalone download for Mac OS X as of yet.

I'm probably in a small minority but this is definitely on my wish list. I try to run Skydemonlight (on Safari) but it asks me to install Silverlight every time I run it so I've given up on that.

It would appear there is a variant of Silverlight for MAC 10.6 to 10.11 running Firefox or Safari.

https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default
By James Chan
and keep me out of controlled airspace

It's good we have these tools so that we decide whether we'd like to get a clearance to enter controlled airspace... or not... :thumleft:
By T67M
Genghis the Engineer wrote:To date I've not wanted or needed it [SkyDemon] in the air. I enjoy the flight planning process, I know how to navigate, I have other airborne GPS solutions, mostly made by a company beginning with G to fine tune my navigation and keep me out of controlled airspace.

When using a combination of products such as SkyDemon for planning and Garmin for flying, it is important to understand the differences in the way they work. For example, SkyDemon uses rhumb line (RL) navigation, Garmin uses great circle (GC) navigation, and most PPLs are only taught PPL navigation, which is different again. For most light aircraft flights, the differences are small enough to ignore, but for longer east-west legs (>50nm), the track on one device may clear airspace whilst on another it infringes. Hand flying, you'll probably not notice, but if your Garmin equipment includes an autopilot, your route may include a mandatory diversion via an Infringement Awareness Course!
By riverrock
Just checked - works fine Windows 10 / IE for me.
Mind you - since I have the Sky Demon desktop app installed - I never use it.