Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iron Chicken
Slight topic drift but maybe useful:
Some CAD software I need to use will only run under W10 so shiny new laptop purchased. Now some of my old software, in particular Autodesk Inventor won't work under W10.
Solution: installed Oracle VM virtual machine and loaded XP. Now all my old stuff runs under XP on the virtual machine and the new stuff runs under W10. They both see the same disc storage area so files can be used from either.
As a bonus the new laptop with a solid state 'disc' boots and runs XP under a vitual machine faster than my old XP dedicated laptop. :thumright:

IC
mmcp42 liked this
By Sooty25
I don't suppose anyone has got skydemonlight running under Android?
By townleyc
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Iron Chicken wrote:Slight topic drift but maybe useful:
Some CAD software I need to use will only run under W10 so shiny new laptop purchased. Now some of my old software, in particular Autodesk Inventor won't work under W10.
Solution: installed Oracle VM virtual machine and loaded XP. Now all my old stuff runs under XP on the virtual machine and the new stuff runs under W10. They both see the same disc storage area so files can be used from either.
As a bonus the new laptop with a solid state 'disc' boots and runs XP under a vitual machine faster than my old XP dedicated laptop. :thumright:

IC

Watch out for the too frequent upgrade cycle. It has broken my VMs so many times...

It also nobbles the Ethernet if you share it. I am now about to install an additional NIC to try to contain that.

KE
By johnm
Can someone explain the need for Skydemon light please? I'm obviously being obtuse but I still don't get it.....
By JonathanB
If you don't subscribe to SD full but would like to do some on the ground planning and graphically check the NOTAMs.
By GrahamB
Wasn't it offered as a 'freebie' to the (UK) GA population at large as a contribution to the collective effort to encourage better planning and lower infringements?

And marketing, of course.. :D
By stevelup
townleyc wrote:It also nobbles the Ethernet if you share it. I am now about to install an additional NIC to try to contain that.

I use VMs on all my computers and have never had 'nobbled Ethernet' (sounds painful!)

You know there are different ways to share ethernet with a VM? Usually the best way is 'Bridged Mode' but most VM software defaults to 'NAT' which can cause problems.

I can't see why you'd need to add another NIC unless something is fundamentally broken.
By cotterpot
JonathanB wrote:If you don't subscribe to SD full but would like to do some on the ground planning and graphically check the NOTAMs.

You can plan/save a route in SD Lite on yer PC. Send/copy it to Dropbox and then upload to Easy VFR.
You can also use other planning software to do this too.
By Stu B
...upload to EasyVFR ... - i.e. either to (paid for) EasyVFR Standard, or to (free) EasyVFR Basic UK (or EasyVFR Basic NL if we have any Dutch readers!)
By Genghis the Engineer
It'll also upload to MemoryMap, then you can just print out a few A4 pages of your route with the lines on it. I'd not tried, but I think it'll upload to my Aera 500 also.

Which I did the other day, then ended up going by road, as I decided at the last minute that there was too much low cloud each end for the trip. Looking out of the window on the way, I was right - but I still missed out on a couple of days interesting flying I was rather looking forward to.

No avionics will solve the problem of British weather, ultimately, only make it easier to take the right decisions (which I did).

G
By townleyc
stevelup wrote:
townleyc wrote:It also nobbles the Ethernet if you share it. I am now about to install an additional NIC to try to contain that.

I use VMs on all my computers and have never had 'nobbled Ethernet' (sounds painful!)

You know there are different ways to share ethernet with a VM? Usually the best way is 'Bridged Mode' but most VM software defaults to 'NAT' which can cause problems.

I can't see why you'd need to add another NIC unless something is fundamentally broken.

For many years I have used Virtualbox, and at every upgrade (and they are frequent) it takes down the Ethernet connection (as warned) and many times it didn't come back, had to reset. Recently made worse by a VMS Alpha emulator which also tries to share the NIC. On my new build (Ryzen with loads of issues) neither works, hence the new NIC, and possibly another...

Sorry for the thread drift...

KE
By rf3flyer
I run SDlight on Firefox but like others I found that the map wasn't displaying. However, I have just gone into Silverlight Preferences and deleted the application storage allocation. Reopened FF and now SDlight map loads.
By JAFO
Is it possible to create and print a PLOG on SDLight or is that only available on the paid for version?
By JAFO
Genghis the Engineer wrote:It is not just possible, but quick and easy.

G

I've downloaded SD Light, planned a route and pressed "CREATE PLOG" - nothing happens. I've made sure that it's not blocking pop-ups and then entirely run out of technical knowledge.

Any ideas?