Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By neaton
... at a loose end on the vicinity of Gloucester on Saturday the 30th.

Is there anything worth doing in that neck of the woods to kill a few hours? :lol:

Maybe there's something on Tripadvisor...
By Rob P
I vaguely remember someone mentioning something here on the forum about an old aeroplane museum.

:scratch:

Saint Averton rings a bell.

Rob P
townleyc, Ben K liked this
By Rob L
The Cathedral is worth a visit. I did my history "O" level project "live" on the re-casting of the bronze bells, which were re-cast in the same Whitechapel Road foundry (London) from which they were originally cast.

Beatrix Potter too (Tailor of Gloucester). And the docks used to be interesting too, but the doctors say I'm not to go there any more.
By Rob L
P.s. So as not annoy the annoyable types on these boards :wink: , I'd suggest you amend your thread to "What's interesting to do in Gloucester for a few hours" or similar.
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There this thing you can have. But only tomorrow, not today ;)
neaton liked this
By neaton
Rob L wrote:P.s. So as not annoy the annoyable types on these boards :wink: , I'd suggest you amend your thread to "What's interesting to do in Gloucester for a few hours" or similar.

Oh, I'll be having JAM for breakfast, I just thought I might have a little innocent fun before it. :D
avtur3, kanga liked this
By GolfHotel
Rob L wrote:P.s. So as not annoy the annoyable types on these boards :wink: , I'd suggest you amend your thread to "What's interesting to do in Gloucester for a few hours" or similar.

Annoyable types? Shirley not here!
By kanga
neaton wrote:Ooh! Bonus! I'll see you there. :D (Do I need to buy a ticket in advance, or will on the day be OK?)

no tickets, no admission charge, no parking charge, ever! But there are timed tickets (no charge) for the Vulcan and Trident, simply because space is limited in each and it saves queuing. Desk for those tickets is at the front of the hangar (inside), so it may be an idea to go straight there after you've come through Reception.

If you're flying in you can book out and pay landing fee by CC with a single 'phone call from our Reception desk. We cannot process 'loyalty scheme' cards nor free landing vouchers, though, and you have to taxi across to South side apron for fuel. On first contact with Approach on arrival ask for 'taxiway Romeo for the Museum after landing', and Tower will direct you. On departure, after listening to ATIS, mention on first call 'at the Museum, request taxi via Romeo'.

But I won't be 'on' that day: I normally 'do' Sunday mornings only. I am sure my colleagues will look after you.
Maxthelion, neaton liked this
By neaton
Blimey! I didn't realise there was no ticket required. I'll be arriving by road, regrettably. I'm looking forward to it!
By neaton
Returning (briefly, finding myself agreeing with "Bossman" that it's best if I (and I quote) "bugger off") I can confirm that JAM is a Mighty Fine Place Indeed. I got to sit in the Captain's seat on the Vulcan and the First Officer's seat on the Trident and I don't *think* I went "Neeeeeeeooooooowww-dakka-dakka-dakka" in either (but I can't be sure). I had an entirely edible burger, a very nice cup of tea, and no cake at all on account of the sun not being over the yardarm (sorry Mr Sengupta, sir).

Highly recommended and I did find a few farthings in the far reaches of my wallet for the collection box.
kanga liked this