Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By neilmurg
As part of the radio 8.33 upgrade we (shared aircraft) got a Garmin 345 Audio panel so we now have PAw (pilotaware) audio alerts.
I've used it on the last few flights from Blackbushe. It has made an incredible change to the impact/usefulness of the PAw, especially in the circuit, I'm getting extra info for SA, including aircraft passing over the ATZ that aren't on frequency. We had 5 in the circuit today and it was a big help tracking the other aircraft, no screen watching involved, all 'eyes out'.
I got messages like:
“Traffic, Seven O’clock,five hundred feet above, 7 kilometers” (ADS-B, PAw) and
“Traffic Notice” “Traffic Alert”, “Traffic Danger” (Mode C/S, range selectable)

Nice job guys.
I'm doing Project Propeller tomorrow, 115 aircraft arriving with 90 second separation, I think it might be useful....
By Maxthelion
We use it, and it works, the only caveat is that you need to remember to look for the traffic the PAW hasn't identified as well as the stuff it has, which is something I found takes a concious effort. It's a great piece of kit though. The developers deserve all the plaudits they get.
By Full Metal Jackass
neilmurg wrote:As part of the radio 8.33 upgrade we (shared aircraft) got a Garmin 345 Audio panel so we now have PAw (pilotaware) audio alerts.
I've used it on the last few flights from Blackbushe. It has made an incredible change to the impact/usefulness of the PAw, especially in the circuit, I'm getting extra info for SA, including aircraft passing over the ATZ that aren't on frequency. We had 5 in the circuit today and it was a big help tracking the other aircraft, no screen watching involved, all 'eyes out'.
I got messages like:
“Traffic, Seven O’clock,five hundred feet above, 7 kilometers” (ADS-B, PAw) and
“Traffic Notice” “Traffic Alert”, “Traffic Danger” (Mode C/S, range selectable)

Nice job guys.
I'm doing Project Propeller tomorrow, 115 aircraft arriving with 90 second separation, I think it might be useful....

I have the audio output of the PAW plugged into my Music 1 Input of the GMA340, however the problem is that I also have Flarm integrated into it via a Flarm Eagle. The major benefit is that I get to 'see' all aircraft around me emitting Flarm / ADS-B / Mode C / S and PAW but as I turned onto final at an airfield highly frequented by gliders, I started receiving 5 or 6 messages reporting 'Traffic, 12 o clock, 6 hundred feet below, 2 kilometres" etc because of the gliders on the field with Flarm switched on.

This could have been distracting so I have since resorted to switching the audio panel (GMA 340) onto pilot isolation on final to ensure my full concentration is on flying and looking out.... In busy environments, the audio can be distracting.....
By neilmurg
Maxthelion wrote:...the only caveat is that you need to remember to look for the traffic the PAW hasn't identified...
Full Metal Jackass wrote:...I started receiving 5 or 6 messages reporting 'Traffic, 12 o clock, 6 hundred feet below, 2 kilometres" etc because of the gliders on the field with Flarm switched on...
Yup, tru dat (as we say in my hood). Max
Full Metal Jackass wrote:...I started receiving 5 or 6 messages reporting 'Traffic, 12 o clock, 6 hundred feet below, 2 kilometres" etc because of the gliders on the field with Flarm switched on...
Max, I find the PAw reports encourage me to look outside, I haven't seen the reported traffic, who the hell else is out there? FMJ, yes, a bit like Satnav in the car, you have to use it to know what it's telling you and process it properly, 'Traffic! Same level!' not scary at all when you're taxying to the hold.
It's not perfect, or the solution to everything, but gives me more than I have without it IMO. Handy today at PP, just for the SA, it's still my job to stay safe, but I'd rather have it than not. Some days I just pretend I'm a proper pilot and can report 'traffic on TA, will remain clear' unfortunately it's then hard to keep straight and level while I'm giggling.
townleyc liked this
By Full Metal Jackass
neilmurg wrote:Some days I just pretend I'm a proper pilot and can report 'traffic on TA, will remain clear' unfortunately it's then hard to keep straight and level while I'm giggling.

The question is - is the traffic you have identified actually the traffic they are warning you about?
By neilmurg
Full Metal Jackass wrote:The question is - is the traffic you have identified actually the traffic they are warning you about?
Well last time it was an Easyjet, 5 o'clock 10,000' above and climbing, so yes. I couldn't have hit him with JATO. Technically they were warning him about me, but I thought I'd help out... 'traffic in sight, will maintain separation'
By Ian Melville
Neil, from your above comment, I would make sure you have 20180520* version of the PAW software and close up the range of the filters to reduce the alerts you get to those that actually may be a threat.

* 20180520 or later for those reading in the future :)
neilmurg liked this
By alexbrett2
I initially used a music input but found the automatic cut off when using intercom or a radio message meant often I missed the alerts at points they would be most useful, so I had a jack installed on my panel hooked up to the spare COM3 input on my audio panel - that way I can control when I hear them.

I typically have it off whilst taxiing around on the ground to avoid nuisance alerts, turn it on as part of my pre-takeoff checks, and then sometimes turn it off when joining a busy circuit where it'll be more distracting than useful I find...
neilmurg liked this
By a.alexeev.p
I love the audio alerts, but actually hate them in circuit as "traffic danger 100 feet above" been a false alert quite a few times that made me...erm... concerned, so when I know there is a lot of traffic around i wouldn't listen to it as ghosting occurs due to mode C detection algorythm
By neilmurg
If you get distracted by the audio alert in the cockpit, you can turn it off (esp. if you do what Alexbrett2 ^^ did). I noticed that Youtube pilots with full Garmin systems, like round the world pilot Matt Guthmiller get similar alerts and just understand how to process them
Boxkite, a.alexeev.p liked this
neilmurg wrote:If you get distracted by the audio alert in the cockpit, you can turn it off (esp. if you do what Alexbrett2 ^^ did). I noticed that Youtube pilots with full Garmin systems, like round the world pilot Matt Guthmiller get similar alerts and just understand how to process them

That's probably because he's got used to them. I can tell you that the very first time I had the alerts plumbed into my GMA 340, it was very disconcerting to be focusing on short final only to have a voice blabbing about 'traffic, 11 o clock, 200 feet lower' as I approached a gaggle of gliders parked on the ground with flarm on..... Now I switch the alerts off as I enter the circuit, my full concentration is on lining up such that I can successfully pull the handle and float down onto the runway..... :shock:
neilmurg, a.alexeev.p liked this
By Full Metal Jackass
neilmurg wrote:I'm surprised they put tyres on the SR22, aren't most of their landings vertical? (Other aircraft with parachute systems are available)

[Blue Peter Mode On]

Well children, what comes before a landing? Yes, a take - off.

Can you spell 'take off'?

Without wheels, the SR22 won't be able to reach the velocity required to achieve powered flight. Powered flight is necessary for the pilot to attain the altitude required to safely pull his parachute......

Can you draw a picture of an aircraft slowly wafting down to the ground, under the parachute?

[Blue Peter Mode Off]

:? 8)
neilmurg liked this