Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.

which is the correct way to execute an overhead join?

picture A (fewer turns)
20%
picture B (all left hand turns)
16%
none of the above
64%
By Maxthelion
I don't think we've explored the proper Cirrus technique for the same set of circumstances. Do you..
A) Drive to the upwind end of the airfield and pull the handle, aiming for the choicest parking spot near the cafe?
B) Call "G-CXNT Ten mile final for 36*" and then maintain radio silence until parked in the choicest parking spot near the cafe?

*I known it's 34, but a good Cirrus pilot will keep those on frequency on their toes.
TopCat, Nick liked this
By JonathanB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
James Chan wrote:
This is a good point, and very much depends on the traffic situation. I've amended my annotated CAA poster:

I disagree with JonathanB's amended diagram because it unnecessarily adds minutes to my flight time and fuel burn.

If I was coming from that direction then I'd rather position myself to join at the place indicated by the aeroplane in the CAA diagram and done way outside the ATZ.

That's your prerogative, but my diagram shows how you can arrive from any direction and get yourself oriented around the field as necessary. The dotted line is shown as an option - you could join and start your deadside descent immediately if the situation allows, or you could continue in the OHJ and do one whole lap before descending - it depends on your own needs and the traffic.

In the OP's case they were asked to join from a specific direction (which kind of corresponds to the over the lake track from the right) and I don't think you should mess about outside the ATZ and arrive in the OHJ from a completely different direction myself. If you were in the OHJ procedure and knew someone had called overhead a particular reporting point, I would have thought you would expect them to approach the OHJ from that direction and not from somewhere else!
By BillBravo
The actual examples from SD happened to be from when 16 L/H was operating and we were not suggesting to land in the opposite end of the runway in use! I also included 'a good lookout' both when entering O/H and before each turn. To avoid any confusion with the 'survey' then here is another approach when 34 L/H was in use coming from Sleap in the NW. If I was approaching from the SE as in the 'survey' question then I would follow the sketched black route and do a full O/H pattern at 2000' to orientate and then start the descend to deadside once abeam the 34 numbers on my left. I would always announce my intentions to 'enter the O/H pattern at 2000' QFE from W, [N/W, S, etc]'.
The point of the actual SD routes was to also show that (as RichJordan explained in the first few posts), "...after descending the dead side you should be crossing the runway over the upwind numbers, which neither show.". I remember being given a b@@ing by an instructor at Mona once for extending too far upwind after the deadside descend as he was taking-off in an aerobatic aircraft and was nearly at 1000' when I was over the crosswind leg. In essence you are entering the downwind leg almost halfway and you probably be calling 'late D/W 34 L/H' by the time you are established on the downwind leg.

Bill B.

https://www.facebook.com/gbgrm
By Lockhaven
I am at a loss as to why people don't seem to understand the simple overhead join and try to make it such a complicated procedure, once again we have another thread running in to pages of discussion about a procedure that has been used since WWII :shock:

The diagram below supplied by 'JonathanB' couldn't be clearer or am I missing something :scratch:

JonathanB wrote:My interpretation of the poster for other arrival directions is this:
ak7274, Straight Level, James Chan and 2 others liked this
By Straight Level
James Chan wrote:
This is a good point, and very much depends on the traffic situation. I've amended my annotated CAA poster:

I disagree with JonathanB's amended diagram because it unnecessarily adds minutes to my flight time and fuel burn.
If I was coming from that direction then I'd rather position myself to join at the place indicated by the aeroplane in the CAA diagram and done way outside the ATZ.

My bold.
James, what has that got to do with correctly executing a OHJ :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
JonathanB liked this
By mmcp42
i think @JonathanB 's last picture is perilously close to my option B, but with the lines shuffled a bit :)

By Paul_Sengupta
Yep, but you don't need to go all the way out to the right there, just head directly to your bit between "Wolverhampton" and "WBA" on the diagram. Make the bit around the perimeter of the airfield in the "overhead" circular, like a roundabout! ;-) Also your crosswind leg should be over the end of the runway/runway numbers, not out on the "normal" crosswind.
JonathanB, mmcp42, Smaragd liked this
By malcolmfrost
It's an "overhead join", not a "suburbs of Birmingham join"!
The nice person says Runway 34, Left hand circuit. You fly to the overhead at 2000 feet QFE with the airfield slightly on your left so you can see the signal square, then keep on turning left. If you ever feel the need to turn right, get the hell out because it's gone wrong!!
Lockhaven liked this
By Straight Level
My simple brain logic thinks this way, ( I need simple),
If joining from the live side, fly over the numbers, descend dead side to fly at ctc height crosswind.... jobs a goodun.
If joining from the dead side, first fly a "mini 1/2 circuit on the liveside" at 2000ft, then over the numbers to descend dead side to fly at ctc height crosswind...jobs a goodun.
All keeping the aifield on the left if LH ctc and visa versa.

Track log of one of my better efforts :shock:

SL
By Barcli
Straight Level wrote:My simple brain logic thinks this way, ( I need simple),
If joining from the live side, fly over the numbers, descend dead side to fly at ctc height crosswind.... jobs a goodun.
If joining from the dead side, first fly a "mini 1/2 circuit on the liveside" at 2000ft, then over the numbers to descend dead side to fly at ctc height crosswind...jobs a goodun.
All keeping the aifield on the left if LH ctc and visa versa.

Track log of one of my better efforts :shock:

SL

why the first orbit / circle ?
By JonathanB
Because that's the way to position yourself correctly on the deadside to descend from a crosswind direction. Otherwise you'd just be joining deadside and not overhead. If you were coming from the West in this instance then yes you could omit the orbit.
T67M liked this
By JonathanB
Weeeellll it's a matter of debate I suppose... ;)
By mmcp42
i for one, am most grateful for all the feedback
not lease because, as I suspected there seems to be more than one opinion
my main reason for asking was I've seen the join from the three "easy" directions
but this time it's the one I like least

I feel it's clearer in my mind now
so thanks to all for taking the time

success will be measure by the number of puppy farms that (don't) go offline tomorrow :)