Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By BoeingBoy
In my years I've never known a Piper (or any other aircraft for that matter) seat move or fail, but like many other posts I recall falling into the luggage bay of a Cessna 150 when I entered a spin back in 73. If I hadn't been flying a mutual instructors course detail I would not be writing this. Luckily the right seat occupant had the knowledge to get us out and back to S&L.

If this is still happening it needs addressing as an Airworthiness Directive and a permanent cure found.
By Cowshed
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sir Morley Steven wrote:There is a mod which is an inertia reel belt under the seat. Prevents it from moving quickly back. Not many aircraft have them.

The share-o-plane I fly has these inertial reels. I’ve often wondered how much they need to move before they ‘lock’ – even a little would be cause for new underwear.

I’ve also flown a 172 with a locking mechanism set in the floor between the front seats. It was effective, but I could never find it easily at the end of a flight to release it so that I push the seat back, which always made me wonder if I could ever use it quickly enough if I had to get out of the aircraft quickly.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Cowshed wrote: It was effective, but I could never find it easily at the end of a flight to release it so that I push the seat back, which always made me wonder if I could ever use it quickly enough if I had to get out of the aircraft quickly.

I can probably reassure you on this count.

Sometime ago when doing a glidertow with a Cub it was clear that not all was well and that I needed to get the Thing down asap and out of the Cockpit (smoke filling the Cockpit) rapidly.

After a successful emergency descend I managed to get out very quickly - despite my size and the lack of ergonomics in the design of Cubs in relation to egress!

On inspection it was clear that the hot exhaust gases from the split exhaust had done the fabric no favours.

:shock:
By Paul_Sengupta
By townleyc
I had a couple of seat movements in C150/C152 but as I normally flew with the seat pretty much at the backstop, it was a non-event :D

KE
By Dominie
townleyc wrote:I had a couple of seat movements in C150/C152 but as I normally flew with the seat pretty much at the backstop, it was a non-event :D

KE

You must have very long arms and legs!

The trouble is that it happens (obviously) when nose-up and there's nothing handy to pull yourself up and forward (for those of us with shorter attributes!
By townleyc
Are you confusing C150 with C172?

The seats in a C172 go back a long way, and I can understand major issues. But all the C150s & C152s I have flown don't go back much. As I said I normally fly with the seat maybe a single notch forward

KE
By T67M
This thread proved a useful reminder to me yesterday - I was flying a Cirrus SR20 for the first time, and when I got in I realised that the seat mechanism is very similar to that found in Cessna/Piper aircraft. Thinking of this thread, I was especially careful to "do the buttock shuffle" and I'm very glad I did as although the seat seemed to lock in place easily, it took several attempts to get the seat rail pins to engage properly so that the seat couldn't be persuaded to relocate itself fully aft.

Given the Cirrus is a relatively modern design and is usually percieved as the top of the GA tree, I was genuinely surprised to find it has such a flimsy seat mechanism, and a similarly flimsy door mechanism. The seats and latches on the DA20, DA40 and T67M that I normally fly are infinitely stronger in my opinion.