Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rod1
When I started posting on this forum, LAA aircraft could not fly over urban areas, there were no 4 seat aircraft, there was no IMC, no night flight, and you could not generally hire out LAA aircraft for post PPL hire. As of right now, all the above are now possible, at least for parts of the fleet, with hire for training for a PPL likely to be added by the end of the year. We have also seen a move from C of A to LAA permit for some aircraft, although many more are in the wings. I would like to thank the LAA for doing a very good job over many years to get the above changes approved. Flight training from unlicensed strips should probably be on the list as well, as many LAA aircraft are based away from the commercial world. I have been flying LAA aircraft for many years and although most of the above is unlikely to be relevant to me, it is good to see things are getting less restrictive and costs will come down because of it :thumright:

Rod1
Charliesixtysix, Dave W, Smaragd and 24 others liked this
I have been a member now since 1976 and without the PFA/ LAA things would be pretty grim for the GA scene in the UK. In the early days the “fleet” was virtually all plans built in wood and fabric - now, nearly all Meccano set stuff. A terrific organisation indeed.
mick w, Bobcro, kanga liked this
Rod1 - you're dead right. We owe the LAA a debt of gratitude for their achievements. I fly permit aircraft almost exclusively and I look down on the poor sods flying around in CofA machines knowing what they're missing out on. The LAA really does do the dull graft that enables me to live the dreams of the ten year old Maxthelion.
Bobcro, Marvin, gaznav liked this
By peter272
The LAA route is not for everyone. There aren't that many 3-4 seaters available and I fly that many often enough to stick with our toy.

I'll be looking to see what happens once we're out of EASA (yeh, right) and whether the CAA keeps the ELA1 and ELA2 groupings.

For me that is the way forward as I've not found an LAA type that fits my mission profile

What will worry me is if the CAA charge us for rolling back from EASA arrangements when we've already paid for multiple changes over recent years.
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Highland Park wrote:
Lockhaven wrote:I wish they could transition all the fabric Pipers on a C of A or Annex II to the LAA :( maybe one day.

+1

HP. You do know we now have a 'Like' button these days? :D
Jon G4LJW liked this
By Highland Park
Flintstone wrote:
Highland Park wrote:
Lockhaven wrote:I wish they could transition all the fabric Pipers on a C of A or Annex II to the LAA :( maybe one day.

+1

I’ve used it. I was just agreeing... :)

Ian
Bobcro liked this
By Flintstone
Highland Park wrote:
Flintstone wrote:
Highland Park wrote:+1

Ian

+1

:wink:
Bobcro, mick w liked this
By mmcp42
Flintstone wrote:
Highland Park wrote:
Flintstone wrote:

Ian

+1

:wink:

silly bu99er!
Flintstone liked this
It’s perhaps not so fashionable to comment on good news stories (especially since GA seems to be one battle/disaster after another to keep going), but I regard the change in regulatory environment for non-CofA (both LAA and microlight) types over the last 10 years as being one of the great victories for risk based regulation and common sense.

Yes it’s not going to solve GA’s problems but as a catalogue of little changes it really adds up to a lot.

Many individuals at the LAA, BMAA and CAA deserve credit for making them happen.
cirrostratus, Marvin, Graham56 and 14 others liked this
However, one still cannot pay someone to complete a kit properly, rather than languish unloved in a garage. The ratio of completed aircraft to registered kits is something like 2:1.
Never mind, I've now sold mine, so will be a "loss" to the LAA fold....
By Maxthelion
I'll bet that thanks to better kits and the continuing support of the LAA, via enthusiastic inspectors and cheap metal/woood/fabric/engine/avoinics classes that ratio is better now than it's ever been.
By Maxthelion
peter272 wrote:The LAA route is not for everyone. There aren't that many 3-4 seaters available and I fly that many often enough to stick with our toy.

If I needed a four seater I would do everything I could to get an RV-10. I know we don't all have £100k sitting around to buy one, me included, but I would seek a share in one of those, or perhaps a Robin four seater if there are any on a permit in a heartbeat over a CofA spamcan.

Bear in mind this comment is made in ignorance of your particular mission profile, it's just my opinion of what I would do if I needed four seats.