Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Stampe
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
An aviation great ,a charming man and encouraging to the next generation.A life well lived fly high! Stampe
By foxmoth
Really sorry to hear this. RIP John
By skydriller
Sad news. :(

Really enjoyed his book, comes across as a real aviation enthusiast, at all levels.

Regards, SD..
By chevvron
:salut: First 'real' test pilot I met at Farnborough; after a brief meeting with my boss which I attended, he remembered my name later that day.
His Harrier displays were fantastic; no-one else could emulate them.
His last departure from Farnborough before retiring as a TP was the usual 'Farley Rocket' in GVTOL, having been given a departure of 'left turn on track Dunsfold climbing to 2,000ft'!! :salut:
Last edited by chevvron on Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Smaragd
Worked with him 50 years ago. I particularly remember him for his clarity of thought and ability to deliver his arguments effectively - not to mention the test flying skills! Farewell John.
By johnm
:( :(
By Ashley
Met him whilst filming a BAe Flying schools event (teaching kids to fly and be engineers) in the late nineties and he had some great stories, very knowledgable and a very nice guy to talk to.
He will be missed
:salut:
By chevvron
Smaragd wrote:Worked with him 50 years ago. I particularly remember him for his clarity of thought and ability to deliver his arguments effectively - not to mention the test flying skills! Farewell John.

One Farnborough airshow, the MEXE pad he was landing on started lifting up as he descended, so later I took him out on the arfield to look at it and on the spot, in his head, he worked out the pressure required to cause it.
By TopCat
Noooooooooooooooooo!

I knew he wasn't in great health, but I'm terribly sad to hear this. I feel very proud, honoured and indeed humbled to have counted him as a friend for the last 26 years. He knew my dad at British Aerospace, he knew my flying instructor very well, and when I got my PPL, he came to dinner at my instructor's house and made an informal speech and a presentation to me and a friend that had been learning to fly at the same time.

With great trepidation I took him flying once after he lost his medical - he was absolutely lovely and showed me a couple of interesting things. And a year or few later I went to see him and fly a couple of the RC aircraft he'd built and loved to fly.

He's given me lots of great advice, in particular over the last few years when he helped enormously through a pretty dark period in my own flying, that thankfully seems past.

To list just a few things, he was intelligent, clear, modest, direct, warm, very funny, and somehow whenever I spent time with him either in person or on the phone, I always found it incredibly uplifting.

I was last in touch with him in February, when I went past 1000 hours TT.

I will miss him greatly. Such a privilege to have known him.
Dave W, Lockhaven, neaton and 5 others liked this